'The Box' and me are not friends

It is Cubase 11 Elements, for which I think they allow you 24 tracks. I was pointed at Cubase Help, where I entered the error message. Near the top of the list of results was a suggestion that the Drive could be on the way out. Although brand new, I swapped it for a different make (also brand new). That fixed it - Great. Until now, when that same error message comes up. It was a new Quad core i5 laptop, which accommodates a second SSD drive, which I dedicate to project data. The only thing on the main SSD drive is applications.
Man that sucks. Sometimes certain computers just don't play nice with certain software.
I did my last build with a supposedly awesome motherboard. Asus Extreme 4 or somethng. Cubase and my Steinberg interface just would not work on it. Changed to a different mobo and it has worked perfectly for a few years now. Even through OS changes it is just rock solid.

What are you using for an interface? That could possibly be the issue as well.
I'd say try Reaper and see if you get the same issues. From there maybe you can figure out the problem.
Best to ya!

Thanks Jimmy.
I'm using Focusrite 18i8 Gen 3, and the interface seems happy enough.
Its a question of haw much of my life I pour into trying to fix Cubase.
I liked Sonar, but when I tried to buy a proper version, Gibson had messed up the distribution chain, and I couldn't get it.
That's how I switched to Cubase.
At least Reaper gives you a 60 day free trial, which should be enough to check it out.
I downloaded the manual for it, which I shall read before starting the 60 days.

Cool man. Give it a shot.

I recorded my first band demo on an Akai 4 track in 98.. I still think it has a quality about it that I have never gotten since. That being said, I also could never produce what I do now with that recorders limitations.

And yeah, I get not wasting time trying to get shit to work when you just want to create... Total buzz kill...

Best of luck man!

Took a more in depth look at the Tascam model 24. No inserts on every channel, and no direct out on every channel.
Hmm, deal breaker for me. Not saying I wouldn’t own one if it fell into my lap cheap, but not something I’d actively go out and buy.

Was tossing over Jimmy69's sugestions in bed last night. 'Is it the interface?'. So I got up at 3.00am to give it another shot.
My thought was that the 'Recording too many channels' may be due to all the interface channels being set as mono, and I was trying to record guitar as stereo, but have no stereo channels.
Initially, it looked as though it recorded something, without complaining. It actually did record as stereo.
Then I saw it was configured to use the default standard ASIO driver.
I changed it to Focusrite ASIO driver, and tried again........'Recording too many channels'
In addition to that, the same wierd beaviour as before appeared. Nothing happened when I clicked on the menu headings at the top of Cubase.
To get those headings to respond I had to click on some non-cubase part of the screen, then try the cubase menu headings again, before they worked again.
All in all, the Focusrite driver is involved somehow.

Could try checking for a newer driver, or re-installing what I have.

There is a yearning for real buttons. I was thinking about getting a couple of Behringer Touch One units (one for each room), mainly for the transport buttons,
which I think would aid productivity.
Unless Cubase behaves, the Tascam DP32SD is a real possibility.

And RFR, the DP32SD has two aux outs, which could go through someting, then back into another channel. That may suffice.

Raymond, it does sound like there's a problem with the driver.

However, you commented about Gibson screwing up Sonar. Bandlab Technologies had taken over Sonar and Cakewalk from Gibson a few years back when HJ was trying to keep the company afloat. It's back to being an active product. You might check out both the Sonar page and Cakewalk, which is free.

And RFR, the DP32SD has two aux outs, which could go through someting, then back into another channel. That may suffice.
I was more referring to the model 24, but it seems the DP 32 has the same limitations.

Although......... The earlier version of the DP with the CD drive would make for a cool stand-alone device (probably model 24 as well.

But what it’s billed as being a live sound mixer/ standalone recorder/hybrid mixer/ interface, etc.......

It would be kind of important to me to have direct outs and more inserts

Without those, how is one going to use the mixer to record to tape?
To me that’s a hybrid setup. Tape and digital.
You may want to record drums to tape just to get that tape compression and then put that into the daw.

I’m not saying it isn’t a innovative unit, just that it could be more flexible.

Anyway you have your hands full it seems. :)

Maybe just get cuebase figured out first?
;)

I've spent the day trying things to get my Cubase going.
First experiment was trying to use an ALTO Live1640 mixer as a usb interface into Cubase.
Result: Successfully recorded a synth track, but it wouldn't play back out of the mixer, despite it being set up for in/out.

Next I checked if there was a newer driver available for the Focusrite 18i8.
Ther isn't, I already have the latest.
Uninstalled the driver.
Then with the 18i8 plugged in, I re-installed the driver from a freshly downloaded file.
Previously, I had selected 'full installation', which included a Thunderbolt driver, as well as a USB driver.
This time I de-selected the Thunderbolt option.
Then after re-starting the laptop, it should, and did recognise the 18i8.

I tried recording a 4 track project, and WOOPPEEEE, they all got recorded.

So things are actually looking up.
I'll see if I can record a whole project in anger.

On the Tascam DP32SD front, the largest capacity SDHC/ SDXC cards it can accommodate are 32G, and they have to be fast ones. I downloaded a list from Tascam of
tested SD cards, and even some fast ones are labelled as no good.
The big trouble is, it is hard to buy 32G SD cards now, as the sizes have all moved on. Soon, you won't be able to get them at all. You can buy 1TB sd cards though.
As much as the DP32SD appeals, I don't want to spend big money, and not be able to get cards for it.

I've spent the day trying things to get my Cubase going.
First experiment was trying to use an ALTO Live1640 mixer as a usb interface into Cubase.
Result: Successfully recorded a synth track, but it wouldn't play back out of the mixer, despite it being set up for in/out.

Next I checked if there was a newer driver available for the Focusrite 18i8.
Ther isn't, I already have the latest.
Uninstalled the driver.
Then with the 18i8 plugged in, I re-installed the driver from a freshly downloaded file.
Previously, I had selected 'full installation', which included a Thunderbolt driver, as well as a USB driver.
This time I de-selected the Thunderbolt option.
Then after re-starting the laptop, it should, and did recognise the 18i8.

I tried recording a 4 track project, and WOOPPEEEE, they all got recorded.

So things are actually looking up.
I'll see if I can record a whole project in anger.

On the Tascam DP32SD front, the largest capacity SDHC/ SDXC cards it can accommodate are 32G, and they have to be fast ones. I downloaded a list from Tascam of
The big trouble is, it is hard to buy 32G SD cards now, as the sizes have all moved on. Soon, you won't be able to get them at all. You can buy 1TB sd cards though.
As much as the DP32SD appeals, I don't want to spend big money, and not be able to get cards for it.
Get an earlier one and buy a bunch of blank CDs

But good work on the cuebase 👍🏼

I own a Model 24 and for me, it's probably my favorite machine in my rig. It is an old-school, tried and true Tascam mixer, and although it does have limited aux send and return solutions it is on almost all levels a great-sounding analog mixer. The tactile response and the immediacy of everything (faders, eq, compression) is a luxury I haven't experienced since the old analog world. Maybe it's just me but there's something that connects differently (to my ears and brain) when I mix on that thing. The EQ alone might be worth the price of entry.

I've settled primarily on Tascam's concept of a hybrid analog/DAW solution whereby I use Pro Tools (or Studio One) as a tape machine and run it into the 24 for mixes. I do use some degree of sub-grouping (synths, acoustic guitars, maybe drums, etc) in Pro Tools just to increase the track count in the Model 24. I'll use an aux send from Pro Tools to 2 channels in on the Tascam for my Baby Audio reverbs and occasionally I'll use a software EQ just to address a problem or two. The rest is entirely done on the Tascam and I find myself, thankfully, mixing while looking at the Tascam only. Almost no looking at Pro Tools and I find yet another level of connectivity to the music when I can ditch that Pro Tools view almost altogether. For me, this is the best sounding rig I've had in years. Maybe there's a bit of placebo thing going on here but I honestly think not.

I would caution however that the DP series is probably more appropriate for anyone wanting to stay out of the DAW world completely. Once understood however the Model 24 is an extremely powerful solution and for those looking for an analog feel while mixing, I find it hard to beat.

I own a Model 24 and for me, it's probably my favorite machine in my rig. It is an old-school, tried and true Tascam mixer, and although it does have limited aux send and return solutions it is on almost all levels a great-sounding analog mixer. The tactile response and the immediacy of everything (faders, eq, compression) is a luxury I haven't experienced since the old analog world. Maybe it's just me but there's something that connects differently (to my ears and brain) when I mix on that thing. The EQ alone might be worth the price of entry.

I've settled primarily on Tascam's concept of a hybrid analog/DAW solution whereby I use Pro Tools (or Studio One) as a tape machine and run it into the 24 for mixes. I do use some degree of sub-grouping (synths, acoustic guitars, maybe drums, etc) in Pro Tools just to increase the track count in the Model 24. I'll use an aux send from Pro Tools to 2 channels in on the Tascam for my Baby Audio reverbs and occasionally I'll use a software EQ just to address a problem or two. The rest is entirely done on the Tascam and I find myself, thankfully, mixing while looking at the Tascam only. Almost no looking at Pro Tools and I find yet another level of connectivity to the music when I can ditch that Pro Tools view almost altogether. For me, this is the best sounding rig I've had in years. Maybe there's a bit of placebo thing going on here but I honestly think not.

I would caution however that the DP series is probably more appropriate for anyone wanting to stay out of the DAW world completely. Once understood however the Model 24 is an extremely powerful solution and for those looking for an analog feel while mixing, I find it hard to beat.
Are the faders active on mixdown?

My solution to the SD card situation was that once you find a suitable card, buy at least 10 and set them aside. I have a box full of new ones, so when I need a card, it's there and ready. I have two cameras and two Zoom recorders that use SD cards. I mostly stick with 16G cards which do fine for me, although I have a couple of Sandisk 32GBs.

Are the faders active on mixdown?
Well..not active in the sense of a control surface. Is that the question? The Tascam is, for the most part, completely analog at mixdown. There is of course the reverb section, which I like a lot, but other than that it's analog. I do however use the 24 as a digital interface during the recording process just to get my guitars and external synths to Pro Tools. From there Pro Tools (or Studio One) is becomes almost exclusively a digital virtual tape playback system feeding the Tascam. I realize this is not for everyone but it does work really well for me.

My solution to the SD card situation was that once you find a suitable card, buy at least 10 and set them aside.
That was exactly what was in my mind, so I looked on the 'Currys' website, as the store always tells you to look online.
There weren't many options, and even then a significant cost.
The DP32SD may possibly work with oversized cards, but that's a gamble.
I read a forum post about a guy who tried formating a 128G card, and 4 days later it was still 'formating'.

And Joseph, It is good to hear of someone happy with the model 24.

On the SD card front, The Behringer Wing, Presonus Studiolive 64S, and the Tascam DP32SD, all have the same 32G card linitation.
They're all supposed to be up to the minute flagship products, yet they are tied to yesteryear's SD cards, on the brink of extinction.
The flagship DP32SD manual braggs how it is compatible with windows, all the way up to XP.
Hold on a minute, this is 2022!

Gee Raymond, it's not exactly the "up to the minute flagship". It was introduced in 2016, so the design is 6 years old. At that time, SD cards were taking the place of hard drives and CDs. The fact that memory technology has advanced to the point that 32GB is on the lower end of the size range isn't Tascam's fault. The Presonus is more recent, introduced 3-4 years ago.

I think the reason for the limitation is due to using the spec for SDHC which specifies FAT32 format and is limited to 32GB. The newer versions of the SDXC and SDUC cards are in exFAT, and let you go to the terrabyte ranges. However, you need to have an "OS" and hardware that support those devices. So, it's like trying to format a 2TB hard drive on a DOS machine. You're going to be limited in the available space.

SD cards.jpg

That doesn't mean that the recorders aren't usable. I've got the Zoom R24 that I use with 16 and 32GB SD cards. I can still buy them on Ebay and Amazon. Stock up now, otherwise you'll be facing the same issues that owners of cassettes and VCRs face... limited availability and high prices. At least you won't have to worry about sticky-shed with an SDHC card.

I had a Yamaha AW16G around 2006 to 2010 or so. I really loved it actually; I thought the workflow was really nice, and I always liked the sounds I got on it.

I totally know what you mean about wanting to get out of the box. If I ever end up ditching analog for good (which I've thought about because of the fact that it gets harder and harder to find reliable, working machines), I would definitely get a digital standalone like that. I used the Tascam DP-24SD for a while (Tascam sent me one for a book I was writing), and it was great as well.

One of my local favorite bands, Midlake, recorded two of their albums, Bamnan and Slivercork and The Trials of Van Occupanther, on a Roland 2480. (Well, I'm in Milwaukee as of 10 months ago, but before that I lived in Denton, TX, where Midlake is.) That's a pretty serious, heavy duty standalone. Back in the day, it was king daddy, but it's still a very capable machine today. Bit of a learning curve, though, I think.

If my Tascam 388 ever decides to go belly up, I may end up going that route.

Raymond - your mention of Currys means that you are probably in the UK. In which case, these people are good for SD cards and USB sticks

They have SDHC cards in 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB sizes as well as standard SD cards in the 2GB size.

I've been buying from them for quite a few years now and they are probably the cheapest UK source of USB sticks. The only downside is that they aren't the fastest of people when it comes to sorting out problems but they get there eventually.

Back