The Bottom of This Ocean

The acoustic guitar is the dominant element in the mix. I would bring the vocals more up front. But... the vocals are also a bit wavering and pitchy at various points, and there's some auto-tune sounding vibrato at 1:40. Even as a demo, I'd work a bit more on getting the vocal performance just right. The chord change at 3:04 sounds weird - is that a diminished chord? It's fine to do an abrupt change like that, but you might want to support it with other instrumentation so that it doesn't sound like a mistake. The song is pretty nice - I think it's worth working on the vocals to make it solid.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to go back and work on this track some more after hearing what you've said. I see what you mean about the vocals being a little pitchy, I have a lot of vibrato in my voice and it's kind of a stylistic choice I guess but I wouldn't mind redoing some of the vocals in this song. I have melodyne essential but honestly don't know how to utilize it to its maximum potential. It seems like correcting the pitch completely with melodyne makes the vocal actually sound a little off key when played with the instruments, which is really puzzling. Guitars are tuned properly, the correct key signature is set in melodyne, etc, so I don't understand what could be happening to make them sound off key. It's like the vocal sounds better without melodyne...I understand that correcting the pitch to exactly 0 cents from the desired note will probably sound a little unnatural anyway, so I tend not to, but I just don't get why it sounds off.

Back