the black crowes: she talks to angels [rhodes & voice cover]

every tune deserves a response, and since this one's about to fall off the front page, I'll give it a go.

First, I don't know what the video means, but I'm more of an audio person anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. It's an interesting idea...playing the entire song with a vocal and a rhodes(ish sounding keyboard). Honestly, it doesn't move me much. The original has such fantastic dynamics that it seems to be missing them.

You had some good vocal moments near the end, for sure.

chrisharris said:
Honestly, it doesn't move me much. The original has such fantastic dynamics that it seems to be missing them.

You had some good vocal moments near the end, for sure.

thanks for commenting and listening!
i know it doesn't really compare to the original and i do admit it sounds a little squashed dynamically.

i appreciate the response!

~j.d.

I really liked it. It's deffinately different from the original, with no instruments behind the vocals and the piano, but that makes it definately your own. It's hard to tell, recording quality wise, since it's on YouTube, but it was a really interesting version that I'd listen to again if I was in the mood :)

ziplock43 said:
I really liked it. It's deffinately different from the original, with no instruments behind the vocals and the piano, but that makes it definately your own. It's hard to tell, recording quality wise, since it's on YouTube, but it was a really interesting version that I'd listen to again if I was in the mood :)

Thanks a lot!
I appreciate the time you took to listen! :)

~j.d.

I'd rather hear it on an acoustic piano with maybe a rhodes off in the distance and to the side or something. Vocals didn't sound bad to me. The whole thing just seemed to be missing something. Dynamics would definitely help and I imagine it'd be easier and sound better with an acoustic piano.

danny.guitar said:
I'd rather hear it on an acoustic piano with maybe a rhodes off in the distance and to the side or something. Vocals didn't sound bad to me. The whole thing just seemed to be missing something. Dynamics would definitely help and I imagine it'd be easier and sound better with an acoustic piano.

i hear you!
i did it on electric piano mainly because i recently purchased Digidesign's Velvet and have been dying to use it on some tracks!

thanks!
~j.d.

And by the way, while the vocal recording quality may not be amazing, whoever's singing this has a GREAT voice.

Back