The best song you'll hear in the next.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from that, having my player set on random play, when your song comes on in the stream of other commercially recorded songs, it favorably stacks up.

Good sign. :D
That is a good sign, mang. That's great. :cool:

Killer. I like everything about this! The guitars are so tight, and the layers of vocals fit this song perfectly. But my favorite part? The bass! It's always my weak spot (too little or too much)--it's perfect here and makes this song. Shit, this isn't even home recording anymore...

Killer. I like everything about this! The guitars are so tight, and the layers of vocals fit this song perfectly. But my favorite part? The bass! It's always my weak spot (too little or too much)--it's perfect here and makes this song. Shit, this isn't even home recording anymore...

Thanx a lot, White. Cool, I put a lot of thought into my bass parts. Actually, like everyone, I put alot of thought into everything, but bass is never just an after thought.

I can guarantee you this is home recording. Carpeted, semi-treated, less than ideal room home recording. In fact, I moved back into the house I grew up in after living on my own for years and years. So, I guess you can even call this "Mama's basement" home recording. :D

Mixwise, everything sounds fine to me. Nothing to complain about. Levels and tone on everything is just right to my ear. Performances are great.

The only thing I'd like to hear is a double tracked lead vocal. I think that'd be perfect for a song like this.

OK, I lied... One level thing... I'd nudge down the kick just a bit and nudge up the bass just a bit.

Coolness RAM-dog.

Mixwise, everything sounds fine to me. Nothing to complain about. Levels and tone on everything is just right to my ear. Performances are great.

The only thing I'd like to hear is a double tracked lead vocal. I think that'd be perfect for a song like this.

OK, I lied... One level thing... I'd nudge down the kick just a bit and nudge up the bass just a bit.

Coolness RAM-dog.
Thanx man.

The vocals ARE double tracked in the verses. There are 8 tracks (yes EIGHT) of vocals in the chorus.

Was one doubled track pulled down in volume? It really sounded single tracked to me.

Always. About 9db lower seems to be my sweet spot most of the time. I rarely keep both up at the same volume on verses, but I almost always do double track. If I put them at the same volume, it would be in a chorus, generally speaking. I can try and bring the second track up a bit and see what happens. I like when doubling thickens up the voice, but I don't like it when it's noticeable doubled. I will play with it, though.

I will listen at work tomorrow.

it'll open on lunch.

:laughings: Stop it, man. You're killing me. :D

"I'll listen tomorrow" is my standard answer from now on when I get a PM from "someone" asking for mix help.....over and over again :D

I got the opinions from the ears that are important to me on this tune, so this isn't about that. I actually want this to fall down to page 2 because I have new songs I want to put up. I just found myself laughing at this, and since I have a big mouth, I had to share.:)

Rock on. :cool:

Last edited:
Obviously the mix sounds good. It all blends together well. The only thing that stuck out to me was that the lead vocal sounds like it's hanging out on the left. I had to double check that I didn't have a dirty pot panning everything to the left, but it's just the vocal that I'm hearing over there. If that's on purpose, then cool. If not, you might want to take a look at it.

Obviously the mix sounds good. It all blends together well. The only thing that stuck out to me was that the lead vocal sounds like it's hanging out on the left. I had to double check that I didn't have a dirty pot panning everything to the left, but it's just the vocal that I'm hearing over there. If that's on purpose, then cool. If not, you might want to take a look at it.
Thanx Boz. I went back and had a listen. I don't hear it on the left. I opened the project again just to make sure, and it is panned 6% left, while the doubled vocal track is panned 6% right. I do have the main track louder than the doubled track, but I'm surprised it's audibly more on the left than the right. I wonder if anyone else hears that. I appreciate that you point it out, though. We'll see if others hear it, too. :cool:

Are you doubling the vocals during the verses? That's the only time I really notice it. (0:25 - 0:50, 1:10 - 1:30)

Are you doubling the vocals during the verses? That's the only time I really notice it. (0:25 - 0:50, 1:10 - 1:30)

Yeah, that's what I said. They're doubled, with the second track lower than the main track. The main track is panned slightly left and the second track slightly right, so it's possible you're hearing that difference.

Yeah, that's what I said. They're doubled, with the second track lower than the main track. The main track is panned slightly left and the second track slightly right, so it's possible you're hearing that difference.

That's possibly the tightest doubling I've ever heard.

It's actually a good thing. I don't have to pretend to feel a need to make an effort to donate my time and ears to anyone just for the sake of being helpful. :)

Yup, that mindset is very liberating. You decide who is or isn't worthy of your help.

That's possibly the tightest doubling I've ever heard.
Thanx. Maybe not always a good thing. Being a drummer, my timing is pretty good. Because of that, I actually sometimes get phasing between my doubled vocals or guitar parts because they're too similar. So, good thing mostly, I guess. But bad thing sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back