The best RAM for DAW?

Reilley

I'm having a system built, and the dude recommends OCZ. I'm not all that techy, and have never heard of it, although surfing shows me it's there. Can anyone give a preference for RAM [2 gb] in a DAW [Quad Intel 6600, Gigabyte P35 board] ?

Thanks very much.

I'm having a system built, and the dude recommends OCZ. I'm not all that techy, and have never heard of it, although surfing shows me it's there. Can anyone give a preference for RAM [2 gb] in a DAW [Quad Intel 6600, Gigabyte P35 board] ?

Working. Working RAM. As long as it is working, nothing else matters. :D

I've got a gigabyte p35 board and I use Corsair Ram. It's just the regular 6400 stuff, not the dominator. Never failed me yet and I've had two different sets of it in my rig at different times. It's running overclocked as well and even that hasn't managed to kill it :D

OCZ is supposed to be good but I really have no experience with it.

It sounds like "the dude" knows what he's talking about. OCZ makes fantastic ram and power supplies. Mushkin, Patriot, and Crucial also make really good ram.

None of them "make" ram. They buy it from Samsung or Micron and test it and label it.

dgatwood has it. As long as it has a lifetime warranty and he's burning it in for 24+ hours you're good to go.

None of them "make" ram. They buy it from Samsung or Micron and test it and label it.

dgatwood has it. As long as it has a lifetime warranty and he's burning it in for 24+ hours you're good to go.

There are a few shadier vendors, though. I tend to avoid PNY, as I've had some (complete) compatibility problems with their RAM. Anything from Corsair, Samsung, Micron, Crucial, or the other major name-brand vendors ought to be fine, though, IMHO.

I would always at least try and refer to your motherboard manual or the website to confirm that it is at the least not on the "do not use" list. OCZ has good stuff though:)

OCZ is good stuff, I like the Kingston HyperX stuff too. Other brands are good too. But really if it works, it's fine.

I've been using patriot for a few years now, and I've had good results. I don't know much about OCZ as I have never used it my self. But, I do know it is popular in the gaming PC crowd. Seeing as most hardcore PC gamers like to overclock I would have to say that OCZ being popular amongst that corwd can at least speak for its stabillity, which is what you really want over all.

the maximum amount of RAM will depend in your OS and motherboard... I think XP and 32 bit Vista only allows you up to 4GB of RAM. your board supports up to 8GB of RAM so the OS needs to be a 64bit Vista if you want to use this capacity:

1. Supports DDR2 1066*/800/667/533 memory
2. Dual Channel architecture supports up to 8GB by 4 DIMM slots

you need to have 64bit DAW softwares though to fully use this monster.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
PC-Based Music Production
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fastest RAM your mobo supports. You CAN put slower RAM in a mobo, and it could still work, just slower than it could be.The better brands prolly have a lower failure rate, but if it works it works.

I've used OCZ for years - never failed, lifetime warranty. I use low latency RAM. I cannot recall which is better for DAW systems, so someone can chime in here - high bandwidth or low latency RAM?

Back