The best $1000 (or less) vocal mic...

justharold

OK...

I know this is really subjective, but...I am wondering what everyone's recommendations are on best vocal mic for the $1000 range. (I am currently considering the Shure KSM44 and the Neumann TLM103)

Thanks!

have you considered an SM58? It's what Bono uses:)

Seriously depends on your voice and style of music/desired result. I say go rent a bunch of stuff and shoot it out.

let us know what you find, and put up some mp3's while you're at it.

peace krs

justharold said:
OK...

I know this is really subjective, but...I am wondering what everyone's recommendations are on best vocal mic for the $1000 range. (I am currently considering the Shure KSM44 and the Neumann TLM103)

Thanks!

The best is the TLM103 'cause it is a Neumann. The Shure is 2nd best.

Out of these choices, this is the answer.

krs said:
have you considered an SM58? It's what Bono uses:)

Has used, but it's an excellent point! I'm not a big fan of the SM58 for recording but I'm a big fan of whatever works best within an application and sometimes an Oktava MC012 (I paid $80 for a pair) is just the ticket...or an SM57.

Go forth and demo the KSM44 and the Neumann. The KSM44 is at least more versatile (multi pattern). I use the KSM32 and it's a good un.

War

justharold said:
OK...

Thanks!
Good question, if you mean "best built" mic. I've never openned up those mics and looked under the hood of the KSM44 or TLM103... so I'm not sure which one of the two is the best built (craftsmanship) mic. If you mean "best sounding"... you are right, it's too subjective and depends on too many things to recommand you a mic... and you need to audition the mics for yourself to know what works best for you.

Last edited:
You know the answer - "There is no BEST microphone......" or do a search. How many times has this been covered?

Seriously depends on your voice and style of music/desired result. I say go rent a bunch of stuff and shoot it out.
let us know what you find, and put up some mp3's while you're at it.

Would your answers be different if it were phrased "What are some GOOD mics for under $1000"? :p

cellardweller said:
Would your answers be different if it were phrased "What are some GOOD mics for under $1000"? :p
Most likely... but it might be quicker and save the readers time if the posters listed only the BAD mics under $1000... anyway, just a thought. ;)

Have a good weekend,
Don

Last edited:
Actually I like that idea a lot......

Ok everyone, what mics do you hate....which one suck...and not just for one application, but in general?

I used an AKG C 3000 B that a friend of mine has and hated it. It sounded "boxy" and well, a lot like the $8 Nady crap mic that I bought when I was in highschool.

guitarfreak12 said:
Michael Jackson used a SM57 on all the tracks in the his CD "Bad". you never know until you A/B
It was an SM7, not a 57, and it was on "Thriller". His normal mic was a Neumann U47 or U67 on most of his other albums.

Harvey Gerst said:
It was an SM7, not a 57, and it was on "Thriller". His normal mic was a Neumann U47 or U67 on most of his other albums.
That's right, sorry it's been a while since I learned that bit of info. Maybe I should refresh my memory next time.

Over the last 5 years the best under $1000 mic I have played with is the K2 or the Soundelux.

Slightly over $1000 it would be the AT4060.

See, its not that hard to be make a commitment.

But yeah, sometimes the SM57 sounds better than any of the above on certain songs. It's all about the mood.

finally someone has mentioned the Rode K2... it beats out just about ever mic mentioned in the post.
the blueberry i love as a mic for my female singers.
the ksm44 is a great mic, i picked the k2 over it though when i did a a/b test.
the tlm103.. i'd choose the the ksm44 over it any day of the week. blueberry and of couse the k2 also,
under 1000.. not to many mics even compare to the K2. and i also own a u87, 414 and a m9.. the 2 main mics that get used.. the K2 and the u87

If I were starting over the mic "collection", would be thinking of at least
THREE vocal microphones totalling under $1000.

Here would be some further candidates besides what's already mentioned;

1) Studio Projects T3 (haven't tried the Rode K2 BTW)
2) Electrovoice RE20, RE15, or RE16
3) Electro-Voice 635a
4) Beyer Soundstar MKII aka Model 400 or M400
5) Beyer M88
6) Shure 545, 546, SM56, or 548
7) Beyer M160 or M500
8) Sennheiser 441 or 421 (probably not new MKII version)

The most flexible microphone has turned out to be the Soundstar MKII for me, however, this was only after a LOT of experimenting.
Like the SM7, it has an "expensive" sound on my voice type.

Here's what I have now;

Beyer Soundstar MKII
EV 635a
EV RE15
Shure 546 and a SM57 (original-made in USA/not Mexico)
EV 666 (similar to RE20)
AKG D790
Shure 548 Unidyne IV

All these can be excellent on various types of material though.

Chris

P.S. I I HAD to spend $1000 or so on one mic, the AEA R84 would top
the shortlist.

Thanks for the replies fellas...

OK, here's the deal. I KNOW that I need to try these mics out. However, the closest place to me that sells recording equipment (to any degree) is Guitar Center. And that is 2 1/2 hours away. (I'm not a huge fan of Guitar Center, by the way, but it's all I've got...)

Now, I don't really mind making the trip. However, I would like to know (as somebody mentioned) what are some GOOD VOCAL mics for $1000 (and I can even go a bit more). If I am going to spend that much...I want to be happy and I want something good!

I just want to know of a place to start.

Thanks.

justharold said:
Thanks for the replies fellas...

OK, here's the deal. I KNOW that I need to try these mics out. However, the closest place to me that sells recording equipment (to any degree) is Guitar Center. And that is 2 1/2 hours away. (I'm not a huge fan of Guitar Center, by the way, but it's all I've got...)

Now, I don't really mind making the trip. However, I would like to know (as somebody mentioned) what are some GOOD VOCAL mics for $1000 (and I can even go a bit more). If I am going to spend that much...I want to be happy and I want something good!

I just want to know of a place to start.

Thanks.
Why not start with the most expensive mics GC has and work your way down untill you have auditioned all the mics... IMO, after driving 2hrs to get there, you might as well audition everything they have.

Back