The bass in your voice.

It depends entirely on the song. What's the voice like ? How is it sitting in the song without EQ-ing anything ? Is it one of those voices that sounds like thick chocolate or is it ringing with clarity ? There are so many variables. You're possibly better off just playing around with it and seeing how you like or dislike the various results.

well its my voice. and sometimes it just seems to bassy. But overall you dont really want that much bass in vocals correct? i know it depends but over all.

Back off the mic a bit if you feel the tracks are to boomy. I like depth to a lead vocal, but it depends entirely on the song/style you want.

But overall you dont really want that much bass in vocals correct? i know it depends but over all.
Why not ? It seems that this is something that you've heard and just accepted as true rather than conclude it yourself. I don't think you can say "overall, you shouldn't do this". You might like the bass in your voice, you may hate it. It might work really well with the song or it may be in the way of other things like piano, bass and drums. Case by case is the way to fly, if we are going to get into absolutes.........

When eqing should i pretty much completely remove it? leave it? or tone it down a bit?

Yeah, I think it totally depends on the singer's specific voice and what you're going for in the song.

That dude from crash test dummies sure didn't eq much of anything out of there and he did alright I guess...actually just a one-hit-wonder there, so forget that example:p.

Ok, a lot of deep-voiced blues singers of yesteryear would've sounded pretty crappy if they'd had some kind of lo cut on their vocal tracks.

I would say if the voice in question goes beyond deep or rich sounding and into boomy territory, then cutting some bass will help, but ideally you would address that with mic positioning while tracking.

well here is a song i did let me know if its to boomy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uymYXxWz8oI

also there is another one on there called mind stuck 2nd verse. these had no eqing at all. Just some effects and compression. Quality is a little low compared to the actual mp3, but i think you will be able to hear it for the most part.

lol@the iPhone line.

Considering the fact that you uploaded it to YouTube, it's hard to say for sure whether the original tracks are ok, but that sounds fine.

And I know people hate "always do this" stuff, but in my opinion, you're always safe cutting out everything below 150Hz in a vocal. I don't care what kind of character a particular vocal or song has, there's nothing in a vocal below 150Hz that's worth saving. And it can act as a sort of pop filter too.

Nice track.

well here is a song i did let me know if its to boomy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uymYXxWz8oI

also there is another one on there called mind stuck 2nd verse. these had no eqing at all. Just some effects and compression. Quality is a little low compared to the actual mp3, but i think you will be able to hear it for the most part.

Ok, I'm a little out of my element here, but I don't think that one sounds boomy or rich. It actually sounds kind of muffled and lacking in bite. Proximity effect maybe? Not the best mic for that voice?...not sure. I like the delivery a lot though - is that you?

mind stuck has much better clarity on the vocals although they seem a bit too dry and forward at times. 2nd verse on this sounds great...much more rich and full I think. So hard to tell on youtube though.

Ok, I'm a little out of my element here, but I don't think that one sounds boomy or rich. It actually sounds kind of muffled and lacking in bite. Proximity effect maybe? Not the best mic for that voice?...not sure. I like the delivery a lot though - is that you?

mind stuck has much better clarity on the vocals although they seem a bit too dry and forward at times. 2nd verse on this sounds great...much more rich and full I think. So hard to tell on youtube though.

Yes that is me. on the first link and on mind stuck on the 2nd verse.

first verse of mind stuck was done with a normal desktop mic.

the condenser mic i have now is an AT4040. I am not the greatest when it comes to mixing or really anything cause all this stuff was brand new.

Also for some reason when i mixed "web surfing" down to mp3 it had seemed to loose a lot of quality and i dont know why. How would i get rid of the muffle sound?

When eqing should i pretty much completely remove it? leave it? or tone it down a bit?

this guy said absolutely not.

JonBauman2.jpg

And I know people hate "always do this" stuff, but in my opinion, you're always safe cutting out everything below 150Hz in a vocal. I don't care what kind of character a particular vocal or song has, there's nothing in a vocal below 150Hz that's worth saving. And it can act as a sort of pop filter too.

Nice track.

Yes, it is a nice track. Actually, that is exactly the kind of cookie cutter approach that I am looking for...must remember 150hz. Realistically the only thing going on down there is me stepping on the mic stand or someone closing a door loudly in the next room, so you're probably right.

Cookie cutter approaches suck like open chest wounds.

Do what you ears tell you needs to be done. If they say you need to cut the bass, then cut the bass. If not, then don't. If you don't have the ears to tell one way or the other, then you are up the proverbial creek.

G.

Yes that is me. on the first link and on mind stuck on the 2nd verse.

first verse of mind stuck was done with a normal desktop mic.

the condenser mic i have now is an AT4040. I am not the greatest when it comes to mixing or really anything cause all this stuff was brand new.

Also for some reason when i mixed "web surfing" down to mp3 it had seemed to loose a lot of quality and i dont know why. How would i get rid of the muffle sound?

Cool, well done!
The 4040 is a good mic from what I hear. Much better than what I own. Keep in mind I'm just some dude with a portastudio :o :).

I guess I don't know if what I'm hearing as muffled is from the mp3 coversion, the way it was tracked, my own faulty ears or the way it was mixed. If (unlikely) it was the last option, I guess I would fiddle with eq on the extreme highs and lows to round out the sound a bit.

And I know people hate "always do this" stuff, but in my opinion, you're always safe cutting out everything below 150Hz in a vocal. I don't care what kind of character a particular vocal or song has, there's nothing in a vocal below 150Hz that's worth saving.

My voice naturally resonates around 100Hz, and I know I'm not the only one like that. I wouldn't automatically cut below 150Hz "just because".

Cookie cutter approaches suck like open chest wounds.

But, it is oh so easy to file them away for later use :D~!

We build up a library in our brain of standardized approaches to things and try various combinations to hear what works. I think they help to organize things in a way which is more manageable as long as they're not taken as the strictest of gospels.

Back