The basic plugins i will need?

TylerDrums109

So i try to keep my recording as simple as possible and make as few alterations to my incoming sounds as possible...i've gathered some plugins that i like but i would like some suggestions on other plugins...right now i have

Compressor
Limiter
Gate
Stardust mastering tool

and thats it...what else do you think i need...or is this enough to create a solid mix? im using acid 6.0 and have sony soundforge but i dont like the setups for their plugins that i replaced with some free downloads...

you mentioned something about your incomming sounds. if your are a newbie,i would record everything without any fx,plugins.just signal and then experiment after in the mix process with plugins. Some basics would be a good reverb,compressor and limiter and eq. some will argue not to eq but go more with mic placement and selection and the room. this does not apply to you, only veterans. a good compressor and limiter can be great tools if used correctly. used insorrectly they can destroy a mix. a gate is good for say cutting out unwanted sound on toms,snare etc. i would not worry too much with that presently.

Are those the Modern Plugs?

Egh....I never use them. I have used the Exciter on occasion, but all it is is an EQ that has very limited controls.

Classic plugs are awesome....huge fan of the Compressor and Delay. Not so much the EQ...I use Electri-Q (poshwhateverits called edition) and it rocks.

The classic Series is really good. I have a ton of expensive plugs but I always end up going to the Classic Compressor. It's really good and doesn't eat up a lot of CPU. Best of all, they are free.

Not sure what he means, but its almost universally considered that the Modern plugs aren't that great, and aren't even good at emulating the hardware they are supposed to. I have the set, and I've never used any of it, save for the Exciter, which I don't use anymore. There so many other free things that are better.

I'd go along with that for the most part - The regular ones certainly "aren't that great" and the "emulations" --- I'm not sure what he was trying to "emulate" but those things certainly don't emulate any of the gear "look" like (which still shocks me that no one has shut him down at this point just for intellectual property issues).

I'd never seen that website of those plugs before.

Nice set of FACEPLATE emulations. How do the plugs sound say compared to the UAD stuff?

I can't download those Krakhauser plug-ins

it said copy the .dll file to my VST plug-ins folder. I searched for this and I have a VST plug-in folder for Wavelab but not for Protools.

little help

I'd never seen that website of those plugs before.

Nice set of FACEPLATE emulations. How do the plugs sound say compared to the UAD stuff?
They don't. Nor do they "emulate" the face plates.

If my VariMu sounded like that, I'd send it in for service.

I can't download those Krakhauser plug-ins

it said copy the .dll file to my VST plug-ins folder. I searched for this and I have a VST plug-in folder for Wavelab but not for Protools.
You CAN downlad them, by hitting the "Download" button. You just can't use them with ProTools. ProTools does not use VST plugs; for PT you need RTAS or AU plugs.

G.

You CAN downlad them, by hitting the "Download" button. You just can't use them with ProTools. ProTools does not use VST plugs; for PT you need RTAS or AU plugs.

G.

unless you spend 100 buck for the vst wrapper, then you can use them in protools

Back