The analog apology

The majority of my CD collection is AAD stuff, mostly late '80s reissues of renown classical performances. There are no such notes in them, and most of them sound fine. There are exceptions. The Landowska recording of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier sounds horrible, due to the available technology of the late 1940s when it was recorded. But it's Landowska playing Bach, so what are you going to do?

The more recent remaster of Davis' "Kind of Blue" is an interesting case study. It is also free of any audio quality note, but has very present and annoying tape hiss. I have my own digital remaster with noise reduction and EQ fixes I applied that I listen to in the studio. The CD is fine for the car, where I can't hear the noise as easily.

After the 1950s, analog recording technology improved to the point that such issues are rare.

Yeah, like "Warning, some people may experience Tinnitus or a perceived ringing in the ears as the result of being exposed to digital audio over an extended period of time. Seek the approval of your physician prior to exposure." :D

Not sure if you're joking or not, but to me you're raising a realistic point. Some of the recordings today are so dense and turned up that they sound as irritating as a television when the cable is disconnected. The music may be good, but they have actually destroyed it with a bad production job.

Yeah, like "Warning, some people may experience Tinnitus or a perceived ringing in the ears as the result of being exposed to digital audio over an extended period of time. Seek the approval of your physician prior to exposure." :D

Can I quote you in a future project?:D:p

Or perhaps: "Warning, this recording is heavily clipped and distorted, may cause headache"... :D

Or perhaps: "Warning, this recording is heavily clipped and distorted, may cause headache"... :D

or how about "may induce vomiting, sudden bowel movements, shortness of breath, heart arrhythmia, deafness, impudence or sudden death. Consumers should consult their physicians to see if this product is ok for you."

Back