The AKG C-1000S

boymonkey

I'm wanting to set up a home studio type thing and was wondering if the AKG C 1000S mic was the right choice? The only problem is it is quite expensive and therefore I am considering getting a dynamic Shure SM57 mic instead? Is there alot of sound quality difference between the two or is the AKG far superior. I'm looking to record acoustic guitar and vocals with it. To give you an idea of the other equipment i'm looking to use I will give a list:

Mixer: Behringer mx602A

Soundcard: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Lucid ADA1000 20-bit A/D and D/A converter

PC software: Adobe Audition or n-track

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Simon

I have used the 1000's on female vocals and it was horrible. I used it on a baritone male vocal and that was alright, but I am sure there are much better mics than the 1000's for that.

For acoustic guitar look into a pair of mxl-603s' or mk-012's and do a stereo mic on the guitar.

Some people really like the 1000 on snares, some use them on overheads, but again I would recommend the above mics

if you dont have any mics, the 57 is a much easier start. and i would agree with his above suggestions if you're looking at condensors.

if you go to guitar center you will find that the c1000 is NOT quite expensive, by almost any definition. however, however affordable it is should not blind you to the fact that it sounds like ass, and your money would be better invested almost anywhere else.

these C1000 threads (and they have been numerous- just do a search) inevitably lead to a number of people posting how they own one, and it's not so bad.

What they usually don't say is "compared to what". If they only own one small diaphragm condenser mic, and it happens to be a c1000, that might explain their opinions. i would submit there are even cheaper mics (like the oktava mc012) that sound a lot better.

but if you like harsh, crispy, and edgy - it might be just the mic you want and need.

My 2 cents:

I traded in my C1000s for a Studio Projects C1 a few months ago. I only use it for vocals (male), but the difference is unbelievable. The C1000s is NOT a flattering mic.

Keep in mind that LDC mics are generally much more flattering than SDC mics on vocals.

boymonkey, I recommend the Marshall MXL603S for acoustic instruments like guitar and it cost way less than an AKG C1000S too. I also recommend a LDC mic of your choice for your voice.

Studio Projects B1 for $80. A relatively uncolored sounding LDC that works well for both voice and acoustic guitar, at least in a beginning situation such as yours. And you may find uses for the mic even after you've upgraded.

A condenser will probably sound better thru the Behringer than a dynamic such as the SM57.

yeah but it doesnt sound like he has any mics? dont you think a 57 is good to just start with? i mean, since its pretty much agreed it wont suck on anything?

The MXL603s, the SM57, and the B1 would all be good choices. The 57 is kinda dull on acoustic guitar but a good all around mic. The 603s sounds fabulous on acoustic IMO and is not a bad vocal mic at all. The B1 I've only heard on recordings, but many here like it.

My choice would be the 603s.

Like I've said before, I wouldn't pay even $50 for a C1000.

the c1000s is just an expensive door stop!!:D

I know I posted already, but I just had to say that :D :D :p

If you guys don't like 'em, send them to me. They work VERY well on a loud amp and my fav on snare and toms. They DO suck ass as an overhead and on acoustic instruments however.

thanks for your advice. I think i'm gonna go with the B1 and then after everything if I still have some left over cash get the Marshall MXL603S. Good job I asked before I purchased the C1000! I'll let you all know how it sounds when I get it.
Simon

Must be pretty confusing for a recording novice.

Nevertheless some pretty good advice here from a couple of posters.

Best you can do is to buy the B1 indeed, very good bang for the buck.

But.....a C1000 can sound very good on distorted guitar amps, on percussion and on some woodwinds.

A Rode NT3 is in the same price class and is a nicer mic in most occasions.

A C1000 only good as a doorstop? Nonsense.

AKG C1000's (and C3000's as well) are not great mics, but not bad either, but you can buy better mics for the same amount of money.

The C1000S would be one of my last choices for your applications. The SM57 is a very versatile mic, but the problem is, because it is a dynamic mic, it has fairly low output, and requires a pretty good preamp to work well at all. Most people who are fretting $80 for a mic *do not* have a great preamp. When someone tells you the SM57 is a good sounding mic, ask them, "What do *you* plug it into?" For dirt cheap on acoustic guitar, although I like DJL's suggestion (MXL603) a lot, I think the
best bottom feeder deal right now is Oktava MK012/MC012 (same mic, different designation). Opinions differ on how good it is on acoustic, but I think most folks here would pick it over C1000S. It has the advantage of being (in my opinion) a better vocal mic than MXL603, by quite a bit. GC is blowing out pairs for $100, and they just sold me one for $50, that's a deal. The B-1 is an excellent cheap vocal mic, and can be used successfully on acoustic guitar.
If it was me, I'd take the $150 they want for a C1000S, and spend $50 of it on the little Oktava, and the other $100 on a Marshall MXL V67G. Use the Oktava on the guitar, and the Marshall on vocals, and you're good to go. Good luck-Richie

c1000's......

well i used some as overheads on a drum track and i must say they sounded pretty bad. It just wasn't the sound i was going for i guess. So as overheads they weren't anygood... but in a studio i have recorded at we tryed it on the snare once and it turned out pretty good. I still would rather use a 57 to be honest, but i guess that is just the sound i was going for. Thats the problem with recording, its all relative to what you are doing or what sound you desire. So really the best way to do anything is trial and error. But in your case i still wouldn't drop the money on that mic.(c1000). Good luck man!

Yeah, you just wedge in under the door... but, the C1000S is a pretty nice tom-tom mic as Track Rat said.

Back