The ‘Bassists are underrated’ thread

Even though Duff McKagan started on 6 string and morphed into bass I think he does a good job of knowing when and what to play. He doesn’t have the playing chops of previous mentioned but a good bass player just needs to know when and what is best to play, not necessarily how fast and tricky they can be (same with guitarists). Always depends on the tune of course and a mediocre song played by the best of the best band is still gonna be a mediocre song performed well.

Contrapuntally, the voice is the 'star' of the show
Yes. The original two instruments were the voice and the drum {or at least, something to strike} so it makes sense that naturally, we follow the voice and the rhythm.
A good vocalist can carry the whole band
I wonder about that. I'm not disagreeing as such, but if the rest of the band are average, yet know what they're doing, I can see the point. And would agree with you. But if the other members are really ropey or even one of them, like a drummer that can't keep good time or a bassist that plonks notes in all the wrong spaces, even a great vocalist will have their work cut out to do a Jesus job of musical salvation !
A bad vocalist kills it
Without a doubt. The two things no outfit can afford are a lousy vocalist and a lousy drummer. Bands can't really afford any passengers, but those two are non-negotiable.
generally speaking I find (when I track bass) I like to begin with a different approach of what the tune needs to make it gel on the low end. That’s just my approach. But I never like to start by limiting myself to ‘what is/are the main guitar track(s) playing and let me start with the same thing an octave down.
I agree with you and share that approach. I started off as a melodic bassist and had to learn to be a bit more safe and predictable on some songs so I consider it an advantage to be somewhat off the wall as a default position.

Most ZZ Top tunes in late ‘80s that used digital drumming/sequencing. Frank Bear always traditionally played great drum parts. Dusty Hill (despite his image as BG’s twin) is another example of a great bass player. But in that specific era, pretty much most of those songs are beautiful examples of a feeble rhythm section

Just out of interest, can you think of any recording outfits that you would say had a lousy bass/drum section ?

At this pleasantly relaxed point I’ll mention a song…White Rabbit JA. Given most of the song was an Army light snare roll and simple bass of hit the notes guitar is hitting during minimal band and hot chick (at the time)!tripping balls and singing, when they kicked as a band full on it was loose. We can guess why and song wouldna been the same if they were isolate doing tracks separate days and stone cold sober, but that is a good and noticeable case of rhythm section underperforming

At this pleasantly relaxed point I’ll mention a song…White Rabbit JA. Given most of the song was an Army light snare roll and simple bass of hit the notes guitar is hitting during minimal band and hot chick (at the time)!tripping balls and singing, when they kicked as a band full on it was loose. We can guess why and song wouldna been the same if they were isolate doing tracks separate days and stone cold sober, but that is a good and noticeable case of rhythm section underperforming
The more I listen to JA the worse they get.

Ah, the infamous "Gorilla tranquillizer" episode. |Apparently Moon came back later and carried on playing.

I thought it was obvious.
Elephant tranquilizer allegedly and I just watched the YouTube vid this morning. Scott something came up and filled in after Townsend’s request. Sad, but yeah music has some some wild actors and stories to accompany them.

Back