THD Hot plate??

flamin-gitaur

Has anyone here tried using the hot plate for recording guitars. And if so, will a compressor do the same thing. I'm not sure if it is the same concept, but with a compressor I can turn up all my gains as much as I want and set my compressor to limit the output volume. I never used one, so I dunno.

Last edited:
are those the power attenuators?

i don't know about recording with 1 of those - i have an amplifier with an attenuator built in, and it claims to make the amp perform as though it's being cranked, but at lower volume, but that's total BS - although it sounds a little more "muscley" than just plain being turned down, it doesn't compare to the sound of the tubes pushing the speakers hard

and no, the attenuators don't work the same way as compression

Ironklad Audio said:
are those the power attenuators?

i don't know about recording with 1 of those - i have an amplifier with an attenuator built in, and it claims to make the amp perform as though it's being cranked, but at lower volume, but that's total BS - although it sounds a little more "muscley" than just plain being turned down, it doesn't compare to the sound of the tubes pushing the speakers hard

and no, the attenuators don't work the same way as compression

Yes it is one of those attenuators. It sounds like a pretty cool concept. But I agree, I can't imagine it would sound the same, considering the speaker itself has alot to do with the sound, and if it isn't being driven hard, it won't sound like it.

flamin-gitaur said:
Has anyone here tried using the hot plate for recording guitars. And if so, will a compressor do the same thing. I'm not sure if it is the same concept, but with a compressor I can turn up all my gains as much as I want and set my compressor to limit the output volume. I never used one, so I dunno.

I'm not sure what you're talking about doing with a compressor....but it doesn't have anything to do with the speaker volume of your guitar amp. A power attenuator like the Hot Plate is specifically used for limiting the power hitting the speaker. It doesn't function anything like a compressor. It has absolutely nothing in common with a compressor whatsoever to be specific. :)

First of all, an attenuator like that is used with tube amps specifically. The purpose is to overdrive the power tube section without having to have the speaker cranked. It will really shine when used with an amp that relies on a cranked power section to get it's signature sound.
No, you won't get the same feeling from the amp in the room, because it's not roaring at you, so it's not 100% the same. But it can be useful for recording or gigging at lower volumes without sacrificing all of your tone.

i've used a power break...i think marshall makes it...it works...you can get gain from the output tubes rather than from some cheese-y preamp-y fizz.

no it doesn't sound like a super loud amp...but it can work...i always wondered why they cost so much!

edit - cross post - yeah what metalhead said!

later!
Mike-y

First question would be to find out exactly what you are trying to do??

1. Are you wanting to be able to crank your tube amp up to get the power tubes into saturation/distortion, yet be able to keep the over all "volume" at a resonable level ( this is the most common road traveled :) )

2. Are you using a S.S. amp? If so, then you're barking up the wrong tree :) -- Just build a cheap ISO. cab --- The Attenuator doesn't do any thing for SS amps.

The THD HotPlate is a good unit (though over priced a bit IMO)

The Weber Standard Mass Attenuator is a much more versital unit for recording and over all in general ... again, IMO.

Here's some info on Attenuators and how they work (don't worry, it's pretty short ;) ) http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Here's the one that I've been using and it works great........it also has a Direct/line out feature with a whole EQ'ing section which comes in handy from time to time as well.

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/mass.htm

Rick

I have a stand-alone hotplate and a built-in version on my Univalve. Compact easy to use power dissipating device. I'm a big fan of these things. If you haven't actually plugged into one you need to. It's a great way to crank the amp to get final saturation sounds at reasonable listening levels. Save your hearing and maintain the relationships with your neighbors while still getting that cranked amp sound.

metalhead28 said:
I'm not sure what you're talking about doing with a compressor....but it doesn't have anything to do with the speaker volume of your guitar amp. A power attenuator like the Hot Plate is specifically used for limiting the power hitting the speaker. It doesn't function anything like a compressor. It has absolutely nothing in common with a compressor whatsoever to be specific. :)

First of all, an attenuator like that is used with tube amps specifically. The purpose is to overdrive the power tube section without having to have the speaker cranked. It will really shine when used with an amp that relies on a cranked power section to get it's signature sound.
No, you won't get the same feeling from the amp in the room, because it's not roaring at you, so it's not 100% the same. But it can be useful for recording or gigging at lower volumes without sacrificing all of your tone.

Thanks for the info!!

WERNER 1 said:
First question would be to find out exactly what you are trying to do??

1. Are you wanting to be able to crank your tube amp up to get the power tubes into saturation/distortion, yet be able to keep the over all "volume" at a resonable level ( this is the most common road traveled :) )

2. Are you using a S.S. amp? If so, then you're barking up the wrong tree :) -- Just build a cheap ISO. cab --- The Attenuator doesn't do any thing for SS amps.

The THD HotPlate is a good unit (though over priced a bit IMO)

The Weber Standard Mass Attenuator is a much more versital unit for recording and over all in general ... again, IMO.

Here's some info on Attenuators and how they work (don't worry, it's pretty short ;) ) http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Here's the one that I've been using and it works great........it also has a Direct/line out feature with a whole EQ'ing section which comes in handy from time to time as well.

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/mass.htm

Rick

I have a Mesa/Boogie, Strategy 500, 200w/200w Guitar power amp that I used to use for gigs. Obviously it is a bit much for cranking up in the confines of a small home studio, I thought that the Hot Plate my be a good alternative.

200W :eek:.......that's nuts!!! I've got 3 100W half stacks, and any one of them alone will take your head off! :)

.......time to mic you amp on Stage I'd say ;) :p

Rick

Back