That Wide Stereo Sound...

if any of you actually went to recording school you would know that you are thrown 2 x100 dollar microphones (dynamics ) and you have to do recordings , you have to make them sound good with space and depth ....you do not get the chance to use plugins or any artificial devices..........Just EQ

the room you record in (space) and the distance (depth) stereo (Width) from microphones

That's all well and good if any of us went to recording school. But put it into the context of what this site is about, home recording, and you take a lot of what you just said out of the picture. Most people here are set up in a basement, a spare room, or the corner of the family room and not in a recording school or studio. Most do not have a good room to track in, or good amps or guitars to get the source just right. So we have to rely on other methods. Plug-ins, DI, modeling, etc.

I am sorry for going in so hard , but the fact of the matter is simple , the source is where it all is , it can make or break a great recording, there is some confusion that the microphone is the first link in the chain , when in fact it is not .....I just want people to understand that making simple changes within there recording environment and some distance mics (stereo or mono) can produce a sound that can not really be created later.....

I just want everybody doing recordings to think outside the box . attempt to manipulate things at the source .... attempt recording depth with distance mics , attempt stereo recording to add space and width , even a bad room can be made sound a lot better . better than any plugin in my books , The cruel in your face , edgy , abrupt dynamics , constantly changing tonal qualities of the close miked sound will be gone forever ....

I was not attempting to cruel minded towards people on this site . I have an open mind and have been tort a few new tricks from this site , the quest for knowledge as an engineer or new engineer is to keep an open mind , and continue to learn and adopt tricks into the situation or situations you will encounter .

Trying to use plugs to make up for unacceptable source conditions is a fool's errand, regardless of where one is recording, and frankly the quicker the average home recordist takes that to heart, they better off they and their recordings will be.

The fact is the market is flooded with plugs that'll do (or claim to do) just about everything from fix your kitchen sink to improve you're sex life. There one main reason for that; because plugs are cheap to make, even cheaper to distribute, and easy to sell to an uninformed public. They are mostly baloney.

The proof is in the pudding. After having been around this racket since before the days of digital, IME the quality of the average home recording frankly hasn't changed all that much in the last thirty years. The different ways we can bend, fold and mutilate our recordings and the number of tracks we can do that to have skyrocketed, all without any real increases in overall cost, relatively speaking. And that's wonderful. But the end result isn't really all that much better.

It's just like golf. Just look at how high-tech golf club and golf ball technology have gotten in the last twenty years. So what? The average golf score today is no different than it was 20 or 30 years ago, the average golfer still tees up his old, used balls when there's a water hazard to shoot over, and will three-putt just as much with their $300 plutonium putter as they would with my father's low-tech Mashee.

That said, the idea that the only good way to get depth in a recording is at the source is myopic. Sure it's a key way and a great way to do it, but the use of simple volume (lower it), EQ (filter the high end) and verb (only in concert with the first two) can go a looong way to creating depth in a recording. But it's not going to be because of the plugs (and certainly not because of any fancy plugs), but because the man behind the curtain knows what they are doing. If one get a birdie, it's not because of the putter, but because of the golfer.

G.

I was not attempting to cruel minded towards people on this site . I have an open mind and have been tort a few new tricks from this site , the quest for knowledge as an engineer or new engineer is to keep an open mind , and continue to learn and adopt tricks into the situation or situations you will encounter .

I can appreciate that!! :) I understand what you're saying about getting it right at the source. We've got to make the best of what we got. I don't think I'll ever get my acoustic to sound the way I want, but I'll keep trying.

peace,

Back