That Tel Mar "Folk Singer" sound! ->

Drone_21042

The legendary recording of Muddy Waters' Folk Singer (1964) has always held a special place in my heart and mind. For this fan, about the only thing that competes with the performance itself is the room's acoustic properties- easily imagined and reproduced on a good HiFi. When I listen to it, I am mesmerized by the way Muddy's voice initially bites the mic then drips off the far walls like hot honey only a few milliseconds later. What is the term for this property?

I know very little about sound treatment or acoustics in general. Just getting into this hobby of home recording, how might I achieve a hint of that sound with modest means? I'm ready to learn.

Drone.

Drone,

Use a very good mic on a remote recording in a medium sized church that was built at least 60 years ago. These places usually have very good 'acoustic' acoustics. By adjusting the distance of the microphone to the singer you can get the 'verb blend that you are looking for. Better yet use 5 mics (vocal only); One on the vocal, a pair 4 feet away and another pair (X-Y) 1/3 of the length of the room away from the singer. Blend these for the sound you want.

Cheers,
John

You are welcome. Here is an example of a guitar vocal recorded that way. U67 vocal, a couple of KMs on the guitar and a C-24 (tube) for the room. No verb added. ;)
The Conversation

Cheers,
John

Back