That R. Kelly Sound????

Raydio

Mannnnn; I've been an R. Kelly fan for years and I really want to base some of my demo production on his work. I listen to track on the "R" album such as "Get Up On A Room" and "Etcetera", and how the drum patterns are sooooo simple but his pianos and stuff fill the track up. How does he do this?? Is he playing chords? I can do rap beats with no prob, but when it comes to doing R. Kelly type beats, I want to know how he plays his stuff. I basically need help with improvising when I play the keyboard. I can come up with a melody, but his stuff is more like sustained notes, ya know? How do I get that R&B type keyboard flava going? I know it sounds kinda dumb but Im just curious in knowing how to improvise when playing the keyboard. Helppp!!! LOL

I'm not sure about the actual playing, but it's very important to warm up by trying to "break it off" in a couple of 15yr olds. And try to get it on tape if possible.:D

subtractor said:
...... but it's very important to warm up by trying to "break it off" in a couple of 15yr olds. And try to get it on tape if possible.:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LOL

subtractor, you are crazy.

Raydio said:
.....how the drum patterns are sooooo simple but his pianos and stuff fill the track up. How does he do this?? ......

He has a LOT of high end outboard gear. I've been to his studio @ Jive.

Re: Re: That R. Kelly Sound????

SPINSTERWUN said:
He has a LOT of high end outboard gear. I've been to his studio @ Jive.

Are you serious?? Thats tight. What do you mean by high end outboard gear, name some off hand that you know of. Spin, you gave me your Sprint number a while back but I lost it when I deleted my email, hit me up at lilraydio@aol.com; I stay in Hyde Park currently and I have a lot of good opportunity in mind on the music tip. Anyways hommy, thanks for da info; I was just curious.

raydio just stop in at chicago trax(studio, r kelly owns half of it, its on laramie I believe.) ask for a tour.

Yeah I thought about visiting Chicago Trax but I would rather have the dough to book a session there. Its pretty expensive compared to other studios near it. I just basically wanted tips on improvision, I see he uses it a lot. He also brings a warm sound on his vocals that stands out beautifully. Im not trying to be a "biter" but I was just curious and wanted a sound leaning more toward his.

You explained already how to answer your question. A simple beat(bass and tic) backed by a piano loop. You drop out 1 or 2 of the 3 during chorii and the introduction and it'll sound good usually.

Ridl, I see what you're saying a little. But, do I add majority bassline or majority kick/snare/hi hat?? I hear the piano loops but it just seems like R&B producers use a lot of improvision when playing stuff on the keyboard. You hear sweeps and the piano loops sound like they switch up a lot. I hear Kelly's new tracks and you can tell the difference from his old music. This topic sounds crazy because its hard for me to explain in detail, but basically I wanted to know what kind of elements I can add to my drum tracks to make them have that simple but full R&B sound. Will reverb, chorus or delay on certain things help? If you have any tips I would benefit from them greatly.

The way rnb is done nowadays is very minimilistic. Bass/hi hat/synth/piano keys.
You just have to keep a slow tempo so you have room for a simple beat that has the piano/synth in the background. Don't really need any effects to get it.

S---P---A---C---E

Since R&B is a simplistic artform (minimal 7

things going on)

kick
snare
highhat
conga -- the new things
bass
keys
guitar stum/lick/preferbly spanish influenced

but the trick is, giving everything its proper space in the track, also with most kick & snare, they are compressed

kick -- compressed till it sounds like a heartbeat of sort
bass-- accomodates the kick, as to where they sound as 1
hi-hat--bright but not to up-front, (dont kill the vocal)

and everything else is a smidgen of reverb, space and placement.
After all that, you got to have an ill LYRIC content, since the track is so (EMPTY) as I see it --- you better say something entertaining, cause then you'll sound "BIRDMAN & DIDDY"

there is some skill to it, but if you MIX, ENGINEER a lot, you'll get it
also, chords are key in R&B, if your a beginner -- keep learning, if your not into excelling -- you can always do the famous NEPTUNE sound and finger hit --- (nowadays your guaranteed a hit) NOT

TONI BRAXTON comes to mind

Damn mstudio.... good info 4real. I appreciate that, but I have just a few minor questions still. I noticed the use of chords in most R&B songs, especially Kelly's old stuff. I wanted to know what key and what type of chords most R&B songs are played in. Im asking this because most of the chords sound like all the producers are playing in the same key. They sustain the chords for a few measures and I noticed that it fills the track up a little. You pointed out something that had puzzled me for a while.... The R&B kicks and snares sound weak in power, and Ive been trying to acheive that sound for a while. You say to compress; do you have any setting that I can start at to get that hardbeat type sound, etc.??? Or how to tame my high hats from being too upfront in the mix? Once I know this I think Ill be on my way. Oh yeah, baby and p diddy aint got ish on me..... but they do got more dough than me so Ill shut up for now, LOL!

Re: S---P---A---C---E

[email]mstudio1224@aol.com[/email] said:
Since R&B is a simplistic artform (minimal 7

things going on)

kick
snare
highhat
conga -- the new things
bass
keys
guitar stum/lick/preferbly spanish influenced

but the trick is, giving everything its proper space in the track, also with most kick & snare, they are compressed

kick -- compressed till it sounds like a heartbeat of sort
bass-- accomodates the kick, as to where they sound as 1
hi-hat--bright but not to up-front, (dont kill the vocal)

and everything else is a smidgen of reverb, space and placement.
After all that, you got to have an ill LYRIC content, since the track is so (EMPTY) as I see it --- you better say something entertaining, cause then you'll sound "BIRDMAN & DIDDY"

there is some skill to it, but if you MIX, ENGINEER a lot, you'll get it
also, chords are key in R&B, if your a beginner -- keep learning, if your not into excelling -- you can always do the famous NEPTUNE sound and finger hit --- (nowadays your guaranteed a hit) NOT

TONI BRAXTON comes to mind

Thats what I'm talkin bout.Someone who knows what their talkin bout ;)

Compression is not as easy to describe, but you can try a ratio of
2:1, or 3:1 (see for me to write that, you still may not know what he hell I'm talking about) :D but anyway, the absolute BEST way to get this right is by ear.

pass your KICK, SNARE whatever into your compressor, (or add plug-in)whichever you use, and turn the knob to liking.

Now Chords is another entire thing, you are right in saying "most chords are the same and most are sustained to fill up a track"
but it's another art to learn --- "case in point" listen to any BABYFACE track from 90---98 he uses the same exact chords, just switched around and the arrangement is placed around it.
Honestly I cant tell you what chord progression R.Kelly does, I dont listen to him that much, besides I got my own flow.
But they vary between minor & major chords, depending on what joint you listen too.

You gotta find yours, it is good to follow Robert, but eventually you will have to flip to find your groove.

Taming the hi-hats (dont laugh) it's as simple as sliding the fader DOWN :D (everything doesnt always have to be up in a track).

B let me tell, the best way to get any track right, is to record it right in the BEGINNING, get the RIGHT KICK, RIGHT SNARE, the RIGHT HIHAT -- if it sounds good before all of the compression etc..., then maybe it doesnt need it as much ---- dont get caught in the hype that you need to add effects on everything simply cause you have it, in it's natural state, if the track is banging, then it's banging --- add a tad of reverb for fill, but then everything reverts right back to MIXING & ENGINEERING. Playing it is simple, but in the MIX is where it comes to life.

Hit me back with any other question

I dont know what else to say Reefer (but pass that over here)ha

but what ever you guys need to know, I'll give a shout

I charge $35hr for classes in understanding mixing, engineering, and DAW, DP3 & PRO-TOOLS. So consider this one on me, believe me fammo, I've been there, made the mistakes and spent the money.

Bottom line, it's not as hard as these top dogs make it seem, I mean it is hard, there are things to learn and acquire, but like with anything, learn the essentials and everything else will come

case and point: you gotta fall off a bike to learn how to ride it

i'm gonna start callin you "mixin good game" and i know where to come when i need some help. i'm impressed pimpin

Yeah, good info yo. I understand compression and reverb, just wanted to know some nice settings to start me off at. I know the whole "If it sounds good without effects, keep it" speech, and I agree; but you and I both know that sometimes you have to add a little where it counts. If you have anything else to add I will be happy to read. Thanks

Re: S---P---A---C---E

[email]mstudio1224@aol.com[/email] said:
chords are key in R&B, if your a beginner -- keep learning, if your not into excelling -- you can always do the famous NEPTUNE sound and finger hit

I know that R. Kelly uses EXTREMELY talented keyboardists for studio work...with that in mind...PRACTICE...PRACTICE...PRACTICE...I learned my keys from one of them and it was the best damn lesson i ever got...the chords are crucial. I actually steer clear from writing R&B because of that...my transitions are rough and slow...i was classically trained on a clarinet, piano came second and anything other than Beethoven and Tchaikovsky is causing problems...i had to really fight to learn jazz and basic R&B chord progressions, regardless, my writing and recording has improved immensely along with how much my musicianship has improved. Take time to practice and you will see improvement within a month.

Good Luck.

Back