that Led Zeppelin sound

chilled

I am a relatively new drummer and I just wanted to know from the more experienced players out there any ideas on getting that tone bonzo used to get (eg snare type and mic placement) It seems to be pretty elusive to everyone I ask.

I believe Zeppelin got their famous huge drum sound by placing the drums in a large and empty room with the wall behind the drums. They used 2 room mics infront of the kit and a blanket/rug hung on the opposite wall to prevent reflections... Also you must keep in mind that Bonham had HUGE drums, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Get yourself a set of Roland electronic drums.
From the basic "trap set" to the "V Pro"... you'll get all the sounds you could ever want.
If you already have a drum set you like, check out the Roland AT-5 Acoustic Trigger system. It hooks right up to your existing set and will give you the "Bonzo" sound you're looking for. It costs less than $400, and will give you a huge selection of drum kits to choose from.

Yeah, Bonham used big ass drums...
and he hit them HARD!

Get a deep snare drum and some barbells.

A few years back, Modern Drummer magazine had Ludwig build an exact replica of Bonzo's kit and had a drawing to give it away. All you had to do was send in a postcard with your info on it. You could enter as many times as you wanted. I damn near broke my hand filling out a gazillion and a half postcards. I didn't win. I am not even a drummer.

I do beleieve another important fact is that he did not muffle his bass drum and his drums were tuned to perfection.

Yeah, Bonham did use big drums and they were tuned quite well, but I hae noticed that you can get a similar sound by relying mainly on the room sound. I mean, no one can match Bonham but this would be a good start.

I think he used a metal snare, like 6"x14". They have the drum kit he used to record zepplin 4 at the rock n roll hall of fame. I stood there for 10 minutes just staring at it. Basically, yr talking big everything:
big arms
big sticks
big drums
big rooms
big levels to tape.
Unfortunately, I think the sad truth is everyone wants to sound like Bonham and no one ever really will....

I want to thank everyone so far for responding and I encourage the feedback to continue. Do any of you have any clue as to current snare recommendations that will approach the deep tone he was notorious for?

To me, I think a think that a deep snare with a depth 6" or greater having no more than 4plies of maple or maybe a metal should give a deep sound in combination with a 14"diamter head (or go event larger). REMO Fiberskyns add lots of that Led zeppelin warmth to your sound as well as a thin bottom head. Keep them tuned to a relatively low pitch.

I own a Pearl Masters Custom 6.5" x 14" that is 4 ply and used with A FIBERSKYN and ambasaor snare side (SSA)Its sounds very close to Zeppelin, but you can never match it!!!!!!!

Just to explain further:

Shells--A thin shell will resonate more whereas a thick shell will project more.

MAPLE has balanced highs and lows and sounds warmer; very even sounding

BIRCH has more highs and upper mids--most projection

MAHOGANY has extremely boosted lows

MEATALS have a really bright sound and has a defined resonation like no other---and they tend to produce brighter shots and ring more

I hope that this is helpful!

[This message has been edited by CJWalker (edited 05-09-2000).]

Back