That annoying sound!

overseas

Does this ever happen happen to YOU:

Your tracking on your favorite acoustic guitar, playing up a storm, having a great ol' time, got a great groove happnin', and just LO-O-O-O-O-O-O-VIN' IT!

Then you playback what you've just recorded, and...

"ding-dinga-ding TICK dinga-ding TICK ding-ding-dinga ding TICK"

Huh? What the f%#@ was THAT?!?!?

(slight pause for investigation)

Awwwww J-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-Z!!!! ... Why is it so damn LOUD when my pick hits the pickguard/body/neck/bridge?!?!?

("Could very well be a technique thing," comes the reply from somewhere deep in his subconscious.)

So, I attempt to re-record, but now all sponaneity has evaporated whilst my now hyper-sensitive ear grossly exaggerates the slightest tick.... tiCK .... TICK....

But it no longer matters because I CAN'T EVEN HOLD THE DAMN PICK NOW, THERE'S SO MUCH SWEAT ON MY HANDS, AND I'M TOO PISSED-OFF TO PLAY ANYMORE, ANYWAY!!!!!

("Take a break!" he mumbles outloud to himself. "Work on your technique," says the still, small voice from within.)

Seriously, though, what remedies have YOU devised for this? I tried some little custom-made, pickguard-shaped terrycloth cutouts conveniently attached with two-sided sticky tape. Uglier than sh*$, but it seems to work.

And yes, I may be 40, but I'm still working on my technique...

Bruce Ray

Bruce, you should be a writer, maybe for a guitar mag? Seriously that was funny. I have no idea what you could do for your problem, sorry, to me it sounds like you may have already solved it with that terry cloth??:D

Guitar mag

Whoa, thanks for the nice compliment, Shem! Actually, I'd consider your suggestion, but I'm in Korea, so I don't know how I could do that, logistically speaking. My Korean is okay but certainly not good enough to write for a Korean mag.

I suppose I wrote that little blurb because I'd just finished going through my own tape "archives" and noticed a hell of lot of those little "ticks." That's one reason why my 6-string acoustic looks like a patchwork quilt right now - it's covered in little cloth strips! Goofy, but effective. I just wondered if anyone else did this, or it was just me.

Bruce Ray

Back