thanks

nickjc

hey all,

haven't been around for a while as I've been taking care of things in the "real world", but I wanted to say cheers to the whole crew for all the help.

A couple of months ago I posted a song "satisfaction guaranteed", and got heaps of useful feedback on it. I went away, and re-recorded it, and I reckon iy's a bazillion times better.

But . . . I've been wrong in the past so I wanted to put it to the forum. How's the new version? Is it actually better? What else can I improve? Any help and criticism is welcomed like sugar in my coffee . . .

here's the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/nickjcmusic.htm

(the newer version is obviously labelled NEW VERSION) :D

hi,

no it's not crap. Artistically I dig it, espescially since it's more my style.

a couple of things:

I can't hear the drums all that well during the verse/chorus, only in the intro. Beef em up!! :)

the guitar sounds a little thin, how did you record this??

you need a pop filter for those nasty hard 'Puh' sounds.

where's the bass? on that subject...give it more bottom.

I'm not a pro sound guy, I just know what sounds good to me. :D

looking forward to the next incarnation of the song.

Adam

nah link didn't die - it's working now. Maybe soundclick were having some issues - it's happened to me before.

adam - thanks for the advice. The guitar is a fender strat squire (poos), running through a 10 watt Marshall amp (also poos), mic'd "on the cup" cos that's what everyone seems to reckon is the best way. I'm thinking of re-recording it through a Direct Box as that's worked for me before - Good idea? Bad idea?

With the vox, I tried with a pop filter, but it turned out really "muddy" - maybe I just need to sing further from the mic?

I wanna add bass but I don't own one - I might try and cheat it with a regular guitar - any other ideas? I've got a keyboard capable of bass sounds, but they sound CRAP.

hey,

If you want a real bass guitar, I'll be happy to play on your track. are you recording with your computer?? you could just send your session over to me and I'll place the bass on there, what program are you using? (I guess it may depend on that) It's worth a shot eh??

but if you want some (sampled) realistic rock bass sounds, you'll probably have to go with gigastudio or something.

yeah, I don't know why your guitar sounds so thin....it may just be the type of guitar/amp combo your using. If you can, try doubling your guitar track and eq'ing/panning them slightly different. You definitely need some low end...otherwise it's a good song :)

cheers adam - sent ya a PM

hey, is anyone around who commented on the song the first time round? I'd be interested to hear what you had to say

Back