Texas Specials... need something else though

cstockdale

supafly killa homey
I just upgraded my MIM strat to Texas Special pickups. I absolutely love the new pups, but, there was a tone in the stock MIM pups that I can't get anymore, and I truly miss it.

Don't get me wrong, 95% of the time, I love the Tex Specials: they have an edge that the stock pups did not have, but there was a certain, almost coldness to the stock pups that I can't get anymore, and sometimes that is the tone I am after...

it has made me realize that I now need a second strat, with a cooler pickup than the Tex Specials: what is the antithesis of the hot pickups?

from what i know, which is limited, texas specials have an extra 'spice' to them, a grit which gives them that much more 'oomph'. They may have a greater output/more copper wire. Maybe you need a completely niseless pickup? Jeff Buckleys tele has some nice 'cold' sounds....try a carvin single coil.

Try a more vintage-style pickup (something like a Fralin), and have them adjusted fairly low. That will, in all likelyhood, give you that "bell-like" sound that strats are justly famous for, which you can't get with a really hot pickup.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Thanks for all the tips. I was at a shop the other day, and have to admit I really liked the G&L Legacy (standard). I am just going to ahve to play every strat I can get my hands on and see which one has that sound

cstockdale said:
Thanks for all the tips. I was at a shop the other day, and have to admit I really liked the G&L Legacy (standard). I am just going to ahve to play every strat I can get my hands on and see which one has that sound

did'nt you already get that sound out of the mim guitar with the original pickups?

TravisinFlorida said:
did'nt you already get that sound out of the mim guitar with the original pickups?
Well, it was almost right, and I don't want to take the Texas Specials out, I need two strats is the thing. But, maybe that is a good idea, to get another MIM Strat, much cheaper than the others (ie G&L Legacy)

I got a cheap strat copy, with a huge, single pup cavity, also have a somewhat trashed extra pickguard. Been thinking of installing every spare pup on it that will fit, lined up from next to bridge, each with it's own on/off mini-switch. I figure even with cheap pups, I will probably, THEORITACALLY, have access to every pup tone known to man... if only I can remember what switch combination to use...

Back