Tetris / Surf

I love surf music and I thought that was pretty great.

My only nitpicks -
More spring reverb on the guitar. Not much, but a little more.
The bass is kind of mushy, but it sort of fits, so if you want to make it better that's cool, or leaving it as-is is cool too.
As much as I liked it, it did get a little repetitive. Even for such a short song. Taking that main melody line somewhere else as the song went along would be good in my opinion.

Good job though. what the guitar chain?

My thoughts were pretty much the same as Greg's. Fun to listen to. Bass is kind of mushy and indistinct. I'd like a more defined bass part. And yeah just a weeeee bit more verb on the guitar.

Thanks for the input. The bass is running through a Big Muff, so that would explain the "mushy". Guitar chain is a Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster through a Boss FRV-1 reverb pedal and then a Vox Pathfinder 15R. It's about the least expensive combination of parts one might expect.

I thought it was repetitive myself, but a few people I asked thought it was OK. If I re-record anything I'll get around to these nitpicks. Ideally I'd DI the bass both clean and also through the Muff. If I do that then I'll mess with the guitar parts and the reverb too.

Yeah the guitars seem better. Dirty and reverby. I really like the melody changes. Nice. The bass is still a mess, but I actually kind of like it.

Very good take on this song. I'm digging it. :)

Thanks! I double tracked the bass this time. It's half clean and half Muffed. Thanks for your input!

You're welcome. I'm always happy to hear some surf stuff. I do a lot of surf shit myself and I'm a little jealous and angry at myself that I never thought to do this one. The MP3 clinic has been dead in the water lately. But today there's your surf tune, a couple rockabilly songs, and one that sounds like The Who's early days. Good stuff.

Yeah it's better. Still fun too.

Only one real nit now. The bass has a much stronger low end, which is good. There is some low frequency that seems like a problem. Like somewhere in between 80hz and 120hz. Or a little lower. Kind of boomy. But not real bad. Something I'd look at though.

I keep getting super sub lows showing up in the bar visualizations if I'm just playing the file in Windows Media Player, but they don't show up as much in the DAW. Both channels of bass are going through a HPF - the dirty at something like 240 Hz and the clean at like 80 Hz. Drums are sampled so I doubt it's them. I don't know where that shit is coming from, but I'll investigate. Time to break out the frequency analyzer!

It was also mixed through my headphones, and when I do that I consciously need to mix "bass light". Maybe I just screwed that up and need to break out the monitors (still packed from a move). If it's a buss or mastering kind of thing, I'll leave it to someone else because I'll have it mastered. But if I can find it in the mix I'll take care of it first. Can't use the mastering engineer as a crutch, after all.

Cheers!

Back