testing

warlock110

as you know, all songs has parts that they repeat and are virtually the same, when you record vocal, do you sing all those parts? or do you just sing 1 copy and then paste them into the other parts?

Personally i figure that it saves time and voice, but i normally do sing all parts, now that i think about it, i might be a little stupid to not just copy and paste right?

sorry about the stupid tittle, only way i couldda post a new thread.

Last edited:
I always sing the parts again. I dont do vocal comps either. I just sing the song all the way through. I may have to do a few takes to get it how I want it, but it makes it more fun for me.

I always sing the parts again. I dont do vocal comps either. I just sing the song all the way through. I may have to do a few takes to get it how I want it, but it makes it more fun for me.

i usually do vocal comping, although not as extreme as some of the pro does it, a 4 min song i usually breaks into 4 parts and do the comping on them, still got the flow right and make less mistakes. Most of the people that do vocal comping breaks the song into many parts, they sound very generic but perfect.

I'm actually thinking about copy/paste the parts that are the same because of vocal comping, by the end of the recording i probably had to sing the dam thing about 7-8 times, and it takes a toll on the voice, if i do copy/paste some of the part it'll get reduce to about 3-4 tries on the song, and that might lessen the stress a bit.

Well, as much of a non-singer as I am, I never copy/paste vocal tracks. I never really copy/paste any repeating parts, as I think that having a slightly different take gives the song more dynamics and more "life", travelin travis stated. I do do vocal comps, though, but I'd like to get away from doing that.

that's how we do it. somtimes we'll have to drop in on a line, but we try to nail the take first

that's how we do it. somtimes we'll have to drop in on a line, but we try to nail the take first

what i have notice about doing small replacement after a whole take is that it sound different, and maybe with pro doing it, then it's not too bad, but with noobs, the sound of the singer is different, the proximity is different and those small things add up, then it becomes real hard to match the sound up right, vocal comping ensure that the differences aren't huge because for the lengh of 30-40 sec or so (1 verse), the singer is staying on the mic and sing the phrases repeated. Any sort of vocal comping/insert does take impact on the "natural" flow of the song though.

what i have notice about doing small replacement after a whole take is that it sound different, and maybe with pro doing it, then it's not too bad, but with noobs, the sound of the singer is different, the proximity is different and those small things add up, then it becomes real hard to match the sound up right, vocal comping ensure that the differences aren't huge because for the lengh of 30-40 sec or so (1 verse), the singer is staying on the mic and sing the phrases repeated. Any sort of vocal comping/insert does take impact on the "natural" flow of the song though.

well what i mean by dropping in is immediately during that session. Mics are set up singer is into it, just flubbed a part. We drop in.

Taking down mics and coming back after two weeks to drop in a line is a no no

Back