Testing SDCs to get closest match

EleKtriKaz

Home (w)Rec'r
Kind of an odd question: I have a chance to get two Shure SM81s for $250, used but never actually been used. I also have the chance to pick two from among four. How could I go about testing the mics to get the two that match the closest? I'll have access to a studio that is not my own (I'm away from my home for the summer), but I don't know what equipment I'll have access to. Any programs I can download?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know where to start.

EleKtriKaz said:
Kind of an odd question: I have a chance to get two Shure SM81s for $250, used but never actually been used. I also have the chance to pick two from among four. How could I go about testing the mics to get the two that match the closest? I'll have access to a studio that is not my own (I'm away from my home for the summer), but I don't know what equipment I'll have access to. Any programs I can download?

Take a random pair and place them as close to each other as it is possible. Pan both of them into center, invert the phase of one of them and record something with more distant miking. What you should hear is the difference between two. Repeat this test with all possible combinations of pairs. The least difference will tell you that this particular pair is the best "match", and ideally, you should not be able to hear anything.

Last edited:
EleKtriKaz said:
Cool, that is definitely doable. Thanks for the info. Any other suggestions? Any technical methods?
Yeah, look at the serial numbers and get the earliest ones. The first ones were very smooth and flat. They changed them a few years ago and the newer units are brighter.

Thanks for the reply Harvery, though I suspect that these four were probably purchased at the same time, and made within a similar time period. However, I will certainly check the serials.

EleKtriKaz said:

Checkout this thread http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=38175&highlight=Harvey+matched+pairs

Back