Testing my VERY humble recording setup...

SOUND DIAGNOSIS

What do you dudes think of the overall quality of the vocals, and clarity/mixing/panning of the various instruments (all synth-based) in this unrehearsed cover (5 tracks) of an old Stone's tune? (Forgive all the mistakes, as I literally learned the first minute of this simple tune on the fly)
I am trying to ready myself for my own original works (FINALLY!!!) and want to get my very humble recording gear to record and sound it's best. Thanks for the ears in advance. ---Lee

"Backstreet Girl"

This actually sounds pretty good. What kind of Mic, equipment are you using. You are good piano player (i listened to the other song). The harmonic was irritating. This song reminds me of Queen. Nice job.

I was thinking it sounded like Mick Jagger, then I read the rest of you post. I don't think I ever listened to this Stones tune before. The recording sounded good. Sounds like you have some gear to play with.

PersonalJesus said:
This actually sounds pretty good. What kind of Mic, equipment are you using. You are good piano player (i listened to the other song). The harmonic was irritating. This song reminds me of Queen. Nice job.

Thanks for listening, P.J. I am using a Marshall MXL V67G mic, Windoze XP, Adobe Audition, JOEMEEK VC3Q, Kurzweil K2600X synth/workstation and Yorkville YSM1P near-field reference monitors. Thats it.

Now, do you mean the "harmonica" was irritating? If it was, please tell me what you are hearing. It would be most helpful to me. I may have multi-compressed a bit too much on that whole deal. Hey, thanks for listening to that other stuff too! All the best, Lee.

Last edited:
slkeen said:
I was thinking it sounded like Mick Jagger, then I read the rest of you post. I don't think I ever listened to this Stones tune before. The recording sounded good. Sounds like you have some gear to play with.

This is a relatively obscure tune from which album I do not even know! :rolleyes: All I know is that I REMEMBER this tune from the old days for it's beautiful melodic content and intrumentation (that I butchered...LOL) As for the gear, you see what I have above. Simple, but I think all the recording-practice I can get in will help me be prepared to lay down decent future original recordings so that I won't kick myself in the ass in the future when I listen to them. Thanks for listening, S.L. Keen! ----EL TEE

Yes I meant harmonica. I think its just a little loud in the mix and a little bright. And I might try EQing a little less hig frequencies. I notice on harmonicas a lot of people put delay on it or at least a reverb. The harmonica is just a little too "in your face" compared to the rest of the instruments (notice how all of the synth sounds have reverbs on them). The Marshall MXL V67G sounds a little brittle to me so EQ might help a little. Im just an average mixer though so see if what Im saying helps you at all and if you dont think it sounds better forget about it.

Good luck.

PersonalJesus said:
Yes I meant harmonica. I think its just a little loud in the mix and a little bright. And I might try EQing a little less hig frequencies. I notice on harmonicas a lot of people put delay on it or at least a reverb. The harmonica is just a little too "in your face" compared to the rest of the instruments (notice how all of the synth sounds have reverbs on them). The Marshall MXL V67G sounds a little brittle to me so EQ might help a little. Im just an average mixer though so see if what Im saying helps you at all and if you dont think it sounds better forget about it.

Good luck.

Hey P.J., thanks for getting back to me on this. I am going back to review those older mixes and flook around with them a bit. That harmonica IS in your face a bit too much. Going to re-review those high freq's as well and come at them with April 2004 ears, as opposed to November 2003 ears and see if they are out of whack a bit. :) Thanks ~~~~LEE

stingx said:
I thought it sounded very good. I was getting into it, too bad it was so short :(

Thanks Sting. This was one of those "sit down and goof around" things that I decided to add tracks and elaborate on as one of many ongoing audio tests. Sorry about the abreviated nature of that tune. My upcoming originals WILL be in complete length. Thanks for taking the time to D/L and listen. ---Lee

I thought it sounded great. Nice harpsicord sound...(God, I hope there was one in there). If there's NOT a harpsicord patch in there somewhere, then I'd say the acoustic on the right sounds a little too "DI'd", lol.

Seriously, nice job.

chrisharris said:
I thought it sounded great. Nice harpsicord sound...(God, I hope there was one in there). If there's NOT a harpsicord patch in there somewhere, then I'd say the acoustic on the right sounds a little too "DI'd", lol.

Seriously, nice job.

Hey Chris, I am honored that you responded. Listen for the phoney fret squeaks in that patch. That's a GEE-TAR patch, man!!!:rolleyes: :D

Incidentally, what does DI'd mean? I am a putz. Thanks for your ears...and the kind words of encouragment are well taken over here. BTW, your shit is sounding better every time I take a quick listen, you bastit! :p . DAYAM! ---Lee

SOUND DIAGNOSIS said:
Incidentally, what does DI'd mean?
"Direct Input." Like an acoustic that's recorded through the pickup. That's actually a cool patch. I've been fooled before...won't be the last time, lol.

Well, regardless of how the sounds were made, they sound really good.

chrisharris said:
"Direct Input." Like an acoustic that's recorded through the pickup. That's actually a cool patch. I've been fooled before...won't be the last time, lol.

Well, regardless of how the sounds were made, they sound really good.

LOL. Kewl! Thanks. Check your PM'S please. :) ---LT

cool sound... the geetar sure sounds realistic.. fooled me as well. :)

I checked out your song cos I am using VC3Q as well... wanna see how others are doing with it. :)

Did your synth went through the VC3Q as well?

Leeking said:
cool sound... the geetar sure sounds realistic.. fooled me as well. :)

I checked out your song cos I am using VC3Q as well... wanna see how others are doing with it. :)

Did your synth went through the VC3Q as well?

Synth>Delta Omni Studio
Vocals>Meek

very nice man. I started cuttin the highs a couple of db at 3500k and it got sweeter to me. It was a bit cuttin at first. The rest was good to my ears... You need to bring your own thing own out , you have agood handle on things.

Toki987 said:
very nice man. I started cuttin the highs a couple of db at 3500k and it got sweeter to me. It was a bit cuttin at first. The rest was good to my ears... You need to bring your own thing own out , you have agood handle on things.

"Bring your own thing out" is brewing, and frankly cooking too dang long. :rolleyes: Like a pressure cooker, Toki, I swear. I am on it. I tried dropping a few db's in and around the range that you mentioned, and I heard a loss of air and substance. I also examined that freq region with an analyzer, and there was no overt suggestion of any nasties...but then again, the ear RULES!! That's just me. Hey, thanks for chiming in. I value your opinion. :) All the best, Lee. :D

Back