Testing: A small snippet of 90's-ish sounding pop/rock

Chibi Nappa

I'd like some ears on this one. My monitoring situation has changed greatly in the past few weeks and this recording is the first since the shake-up. Adding to that I tried some things I've never done before like overdubbing a second snare performance instead of regular sample replacement. So I'm just checking that all of this is on the right track.

This is just the final minute of the song. The vocals aren't in yet and the mix is still very rough (I already suspect there is too much bass).

So... any glaring issues?

Not sure about the bass (not the best speakers) but the rest sounds really good. This snippet is very clean and clear but a little long as it stands. Without vocals it would be hard to say though. Sounds like your monitoring upgrade has been successful though.

Yeah the bass is a bit much at first, then it kind of vanishes when the change happens at :15, then comes back in full force. This might be a good time to use some multi-band compression maybe? Carving out the boominess in the low note might make the rest too thin. The drums sound bad. The snare overdub doesn't work for me. It sounds kind of goofy and unnatural.

yeah the bass is all consuming :) when it comes in it sucks the life out of everything else

the guitars etc all had the right sounds for what you're going for...drums didnt sound bad to me but G has the ear...

I know you said 90s but this actually sounded contemporary to me, I could almost here someone like Caleb Followill over it...dunno if thats a good thing lol ;)

Gave a listen in my car and it seems like I don't quite have the hang of the low mids on down yet...

At least I know where to look now. In my room the snare didn't sound nearly that clunky, but it definately needs work. We didn't have much to track with...the snare had a broken lug and I did what I could with the other lugs but it still splats. Since I don't have sample-replace capability I tried the snare overdub thing after we got our hands on another drum. I think it can work if I edit every hit into place (I only got the worst offenders so far) and bring the original snare track way down.

But I am happy with the guitars.

Sounds like everything recorded is in its own space. Very choppy. Nothing seems to fit within the context of the whole. Very disjointed. The sounds themselves aren't bad (except the drums, I'd re-track the whole thing), but they all seem to conflict with each other.

Yeah the idea seems to be there, musically, but I second Jason's comment. And once again I have to say, I wish we could have finished songs to comment on in the clinic. So much could change when everything gets tracked. I honestly don't see the point of snippets.

Last edited:
Yeah the idea seems to be there, musically, but I second Jason's comment. And once again I have to say, I wish we could heave finished songs to comment on in the clinic. So much could change when everything gets tracked. I honestly don't see the point of snippets.

hahaha...

Exactly why i post nothing...

all i have is snippets...............

hordes of snippets

:(

Back