Test to determine which coils are active?

sarge117

On one of my guitars, I have a double coil in the bridge position and a single coil in the neck position.

I have a 3 position pickup selector switch.

first position is obviously the bridge pickup and third position is the neck pickup.

I always thought that the middle position was all the pickups.

But last night listening carefully to the tone, I am starting to suspect that the middle position is actually the neck pickup, and one coil from the bridge pickup.

Is there some way I can test to see if that is in fact the case?

What I want to see is that if one of the coils in y bridge pickup is not active when I go to the middle position.

Anyone know how I can test this?

I would preferable like to test it in a manner where I can here something or nothing going through the pickup. BUt I do have a multimeter if there is a way to test that way.

Thanks

Thanks!

That test was perfect.

I was wrong, it is using both coils. As I slid the phone between the coils of the double coil, I could hear the sound get softer then get louder as it went to the other coil!

That was a creative solution but the easiest way is to tap the pickup with something metal - allen/hex keys are ideal because you usually have a few around if you're fiddling with your guitar, but screwdrivers are fine too.

That way you can be 100% on what is on and what is off.

That was a creative solution but the easiest way is to tap the pickup with something metal - allen/hex keys are ideal because you usually have a few around if you're fiddling with your guitar, but screwdrivers are fine too.

That way you can be 100% on what is on and what is off.

Yup, that's what I do. Though my most common metal object is one of the hooks from my peg board wall, as it sits right next to the amp in the shop, and I always forget to bring a screwdriver over from my bench.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I have always just tapped each coil with my pick. If your guitar is plugged in and your amp is on, you'll be able to tell when you tap on an active coil. It'll sound through the amp much louder than the non-active coils.

I have always just tapped each coil with my pick. If your guitar is plugged in and your amp is on, you'll be able to tell when you tap on an active coil. It'll sound through the amp much louder than the non-active coils.

Doesn't work as well with split humbuckers. When you tap the coil which isn't active, it makes the other coil click a bit too. You get that with a screwdriver too, but not nearly as much, and you can hear the difference a LOT better.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Doesn't work as well with split humbuckers. When you tap the coil which isn't active, it makes the other coil click a bit too. You get that with a screwdriver too, but not nearly as much, and you can hear the difference a LOT better.
Yes, a tap with a ferromagnetic object will make a much louder noise than will a plastic pick and the difference between an active coil and an inactive one will be much more apparent, but don't do it through a dimed amp. That little tap with a screwdriver will generate a major transient that could damage your speakers.

Back