Terratec Soundcard- Destroyed?

sloom

Well I have unplugged my Terratec EWS88MT while it was running sound from the computer, and yep, it stopped working. After a re-install it did not resume working. Have I destroyed it?...

Thanks for any info. Even the bad news...

Well I have unplugged my Terratec EWS88MT while it was running sound from the computer, and yep, it stopped working. After a re-install it did not resume working. Have I destroyed it?...

What happens when you try to use it? No sound? Distorted sound? Dropouts? Card doesn't show up as a valid input device? Are you sure you didn't damage the cable when it got unplugged? I'm guessing this involved tripping over it? Have you tried it in a different PCI slot (maybe even with a different computer) in case you damaged/shorted out the slot on your motherboard?

Good questions Sloom. I like how you think. Basic troubleshotting 101.

Cables can be very tricky, esp delicate cables on our audio cards. If you have a multimeter, I suggest you to ring out the cable pin to pin (end to end pin 1 to pin 1, etc). Best case scenario is you have to replace a cheap cable. Beats a whole new interface.

PS, you said you did a reinstall? Again I would delete all drivers & software then search the registry for your drivers/software. It is possible that even after an uninstall, that it left something behind.

I've seen stuff like this happen and I wipe out drivers/software and it still doesnt work. It's possible that it sensed there was no connection, and wrote something to the registry that is still there after a reinstall that if you physically check and delete the reg key after a uninstall (provded it left something behind) you might be good to go.

Also, might want to delete/reinstall your DAW software (or what ever software your using for your interface)and do the registry thing because if your audio software was running, you dont know if it sensed something and is messing up.

Just my $.02 :D

Cheers

Hey, very cool, thanks for the thoughtful replies. I do believe I've checked the registry, and wiped out everything before I reinstalled. It's been a while though, and will go over it all again.

I was simply running Windows Media Player when I unplugged the EWS, so I'll try that last. I'm hoping it's a simpler fix than that though, as I'm still sort of crippled when it comes to the whole computer code / software/hardware relationships / OS-related stuff... all that microsoft-connected apps business that's very closely related to the OS is the stuff I just try and avoid. Interesting thought on the software though, I'll try to make that last on the list!

Thank you for the suggestions, and I'll get into it soon's I get a moment here. I'll post again when I've run the gamut and have either a solution or more questions!

If this is a PCI Card (Not USB or FW) and you unplugged it from the Slot while the PC was running then you are Lucky you didn"t fry your whole PC and not just your sound card...You never unplug PCI,PCI-E.AGP,ISA,IDE devices with the power on and there is a increased chance of connections shorting out while the device is being unseated from its socket.....

:D

If this is a PCI Card (Not USB or FW) and you unplugged it from the Slot while the PC was running then you are Lucky you didn"t fry your whole PC and not just your sound card...You never unplug PCI,PCI-E.AGP,ISA,IDE devices with the power on and there is a increased chance of connections shorting out while the device is being unseated from its socket.....

That's why I suggested testing it on a different computer. It's easy to blow a surface mount bus fuse on the motherboard if you short the power on a PCI slot.... Indeed, that's why there are screws on the card's mounting bracket as well.

If you can't see the device at all in a device manager/system profiler type app, then the problem is either the card or the motherboard, not the breakout box or cable. If it seems to work but you get no sound, then I'd check the cable, the breakout box, and the connectors.

Back