Terratec EWS88/MT?

I love mine!

I must say that buying this card was the best thing i ever did. I bummed around with other cards for ages, but this thing is great, loads of scope, pretty strong drivers and robust breakout box.

Go for it!

I've read various bad reviews of the SM Pro Audio stuff, make sure you have a good return policy

What have you heard? Any suggestions on alternative 8 channel pre-amps?

eddbud,

I really think that I am going to get the Terratecs. Thanks for the support, but have you noticed any latency problems? What OS and software are you running?

13th_Omen said:
What have you heard? Any suggestions on alternative 8 channel pre-amps?

About the SM Pro Audio PR8 (from Zzounds.com):
"Pretty much a piece of poo."
Feature:
Pretty simple. However, the specs lie about the type of op-amp that's inside. Take it apart and you'll see I'm right- they use a standard op-amp rather than the low noise one they quote in the specs. Poor circuit design- the guts of the preamp operate in the unbalanced domain. Input decoupling capacitors are woefully inadequate, resulting in significant bass distortion.

"Very poorly made. I do not recommend this equiptment whatsoever."

"It sounds ok. Not to clean, though. I have only used it in a live recording environment. It is good enough for demos, or ghost tracks if you are totally broke."

"8 channels...........3 dead..........3 no phantom power...........the other two had more noise on them than a city street. You get what you pay for, but I was hoping it would supply just a little gain, no noise. "

"I was looking for another product 15 minutes after I opened the box."

I'm by no means an expert on these things but I'm guessing at about 10 dollars a channel, you're going to get what you pay for, which is noisy preamps. If you need quantity over quality, then by all means get the SM Pro Audio ones or for 10 bucks cheaper the Nady strip of 8 pres. However, be forwarned that they aren't going to be great.

EDIT: For other options, you're not really going to get 8 good channels unless you spend alot of $$$. There are some Presonus ones out there for like 800 dollars I think, not pocket change.
-Julian

Yeah, I'm really not in the situation to be dropping $1600 on pre amps. Now I guess the question would be.. any suggestions on maybe an 8 channel pre amp for around $200?

Why not just get a decent quality 1 or 2 channel pre and save up? You'll probably be happier in the long run. Or buy the Nady for 90 bucks and slowly replace it with better pres?

I don't know exactly how you are fixed for space, but a small mixing console will get you 8 channels of mic preamp plus inserts, some EQ and routing options.

Take a look at the Soundcraft or Mackie mixers designed for project studios (although opinions do vary greatly on the quality of those mixers). It might be a nice compromise between the lovely $1600 stand alone preamps and junky $200 preamps.

If you can find one locally to actually go listen to, you mind find a bargain on a used one from a store or ebay.

Just my 2 cents.

-Rick

Back