Tempo Track

The Flame

Hey guys, I am using the click provided in cubase Studio 4 to keep time but i am having some trouble setting it. I need to figure out how to change the tempo of the project for different parts within the song. Here's the problem:

I have one part of the song that is at 85.3 bpm. I have already recorded most of the tracks that fit that tempo. I have another part at 206 bpm. After I record the parts for 206 bpm, and toggle the click back to 85.3 bpm, cubase removes the tracks recorded at 206 bpm. I can get it back by selecting undo delete, but i did not delete these tracks.

I am also trying to find a way to get the tempo track into the project, but for some reason i dont see it unless i open the window "Tempo Track". I can't seem to import it the project. Any idea why this may be?
Thanks
Flame

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am using the click provided in cubase Studio 4 to keep time but i am having some trouble setting it. I need to figure out how to change the tempo of the project for different parts within the song. Here's the problem:

I have one part of the song that is at 85.3 bpm. I have already recorded most of the tracks that fit that tempo. I have another part at 206 bpm. After I record the parts for 206 bpm, and toggle the click back to 85.3 bpm, cubase removes the tracks recorded at 206 bpm. I can get it back by selecting undo delete, but i did not delete these tracks.

I am also trying to find a way to get the tempo track into the project, but for some reason i dont see it unless i open the window "Tempo Track". I can't seem to import it the project. Any idea why this may be?
Thanks
Flame

On the right of the transporter bar, have you changed it from 'fixed' to 'track'?

I have messed around with that a little bit, i dont quite understand what those terms mean. When i went i click fixed i goes back to 120 bpm, I dont get it, but i will def messa round with a little more. Thanks mucho brother!

When it's set to 'fixed' it sticks to the tempo displayed in the transporter. You can change the tempo by clicking on the tempo.

When it's set to 'track', it follows the tempo track.

If you open the tempo track, you have a grid with the horizontal axis showing the place in the tune, either in time or bar and beats depending on how it's set. If you are making a tune with tempo changes in it it's best setting it to bars and beats. The vertical axis displays bpm. You may need to zoom in to see exact bpm's.

It's basically a case of clicking on the draw button, and drawing a dot where you want the tempo change to be, and what you want it to be.

Set the starting tempo, for example 150bpm, by placing a dot at bar 0 on the vert. axis, and whatever bpm you want it to start at. This will draw a line horizontally across the tempo track.

Now say you want to the tempo to change at bar 25, to about 200bpm. Firstly, there is a drop down box at the top of the tempo track window. From here you can choose 'ramp' or 'jump'.

If you want a sudden tempo increase to 200bpm at bar 25, first choose jump. Then find bar 25 on the horizontal axis, and 200bpm on the vert. axis. Click the draw button, and click a dot there. You will see the horizontal line I mentioned earlier, runs across bars 0-25 at the 80bpm mark. Then at dot at bar 25 at 80bpm, followed by a line at 80bpm.

If you want a gradual increase too 200bpm, you need to decide where you want it to start increasing at, and at what point it should reach full tempo. Lets say you want to start the increase at bar 25, and have it gradually increasing over 2 bars..

Bearing in mind that the tempo at the start of the project is 150 in this example. Go to bar 25 and 150bpm. There should already be a line running across 150bpm at this point. Draw a dot there to mark the starting point of the increase. Then, go up to the drop down box mentioned before, and choose 'ramp'. Find bar 27, and click a dot at 200bpm. You will see a diagonal line running from your start point to your full tempo point, and a horizontal line running across the grid from there at 200bpm.

As long as you have it set to 'track' in the transport bar, the project will follow the tempo track as it plays and records, automatically changing the tempo.

Hope this helps. Sorry if it's a bit long winded.

Back