Tempo Question

DTBlalock

How do you record a tempo change on drums? Or I guess what I'm asking is how do people record them so perfectly? Can you change the metronome settings in the middle of recording or something?

How do you record a tempo change on drums? Or I guess what I'm asking is how do people record them so perfectly? Can you change the metronome settings in the middle of recording or something?

You can get a cheap drum machine like an Alesis SR-16 and program patterns with different tempos, and create a song that makes the change at the appropriate time.

:cool:YO DT:

The Alesis SR16 has mediocre patches.

Get the Boss 880 Drum box and you can do the programming and your tempo change.

The patches on the 880, all 4 hundred plus, cover many bases and the sound is very good. You can also you the built-in bass line if you want--if not, just leave it turned off. You can also change the key of the patch to suit your needs. For the money, it's the best box I've had yet and I have an SR16 collecting dust.

Kind of funny, once you get a new piece of gear and unplug the old piece of gear, the old one goes into limbo and dust or is donated to a college band.

Green Hornet

:cool:YO DT:

The Alesis SR16 has mediocre patches.

Get the Boss 880 Drum box and you can do the programming and your tempo change.

The patches on the 880, all 4 hundred plus, cover many bases and the sound is very good. You can also you the built-in bass line if you want--if not, just leave it turned off. You can also change the key of the patch to suit your needs. For the money, it's the best box I've had yet and I have an SR16 collecting dust.

Kind of funny, once you get a new piece of gear and unplug the old piece of gear, the old one goes into limbo and dust or is donated to a college band.

Green Hornet

The question was kind of vague. I understood it to be directed towards acoustic drums. I use the SR-16 as a metronome/click, with stick hits on the 1/4's and a shaker on the 1/16th's. If I wanted to do a tempo change(I wouldn't), I could do it like I suggested before.

yes, i am asking about acoustic drums. can you record takes for each tempo and paste them together? is this a crossfade?

If you are talking about DAW recording, most programs have a Tempo window where you can "draw" tempo changes anywhere in the song. It's a simple grid that looks like a line graph. You can draw in gradual or abrupt tempo changes to your heart's content.

If you are talking about matching the project tempo to drums that have already been recorded, it involves "tempo-mapping" by painstakingly creating a midi track where the only notes coincide with say, the snare hits. After you've carefully aligned all your midi "snare hits" to the actual acoustice snare hits, you can let the program change the tempo based on the frequency of your midi track.

Hope that's what you are looking for.

You should find a master tempo thing on your software that lets you adjust the tempo at different measures.

Back