Tempature and Humidity.. quick

skweeks

Normally i don't worry about the conditions in my house because we have AC on when it's hot/humid and the heater on when it's cold so throughout the year, there usually isn't a huge fluxuation of tempature and humidity. However, two days ago the AC broke and it's extremely humid out. My guitars are in the basement which is a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house... but is becoming more and more hot and more and more humid. Luckily the heat isn't in the 90's... but it is getting into the 80's daily i'm pretty sure. So what should i do? Turn on fans near the guitars (would that help at all or is it just gunna blow my sheet music around)? Turn on a dehumidifier (just found it)? or what? Thanks a lot.

The best thing to do is to keep your guitars in thier cases when you are not using them - As long as you have good hard shell cases that close tight. Not only do the cases protect guitars from physical damage, they also help insulate the instruments from rapid temperature changes and humidity. As long as the ambient temperature around your guitars changes gradualy and doesn't get too hot or cold, they should be ok. Since you have a de-humidifier go ahead and use it. I'm sure you've seen those little packages of silica that say "DO NOT EAT" ; put one or two of them in your guitar cases and change them out about three times a year. Silica beads attract and trap moisture from the air aroung them.

Silica gel and closed cases is a good combination. But I noted where you are writing from; I'd be a little more concerned about the instruments drying out in the winter. Do you have a hygrometer in the room where the guitars live? Do they each have their own in-case humidifier? Is it kept damp?

Winter's a killer in the Northeast, more because it gets really dry than because of the temperature. I've used a bunch of them and ended up with a $2.00 plastic travel soap dish with a sponge inside. Drill a half dozen 1/2" holes in the soap dish. Check the sponge every time you open the case; wet them all down on Saturday mornings as you're getting your second cup of coffee. That way you don't forget.

I pulled this from www.larrivee.com

"Never keep your guitar in a dark cool basement during periods of high humidity. Don’t store it inside its case in such an environment as the moisture accumulates in the tight quarters of the case.

Keep your guitar out of the case. A guitar stand is a good idea as it allows the air to circulate around your guitar. If possible, it’s a good idea to keep your guitar on the second or third level of your house when the weather is warm."
This is the advise given by Gene Larrivee.

Know your humidity rate.

Acoustic guitar manufacturers reccomend
40% humidity in and around your instrument
at all times. Get a guitar humidifier and
drop it in the sound hole over night. If
the scale shows too dry the next day, put
water in the humidifier until you get the
approximate 40%. Soon it will be old hat
to control it. You can also hang a humidity
gage in your house, but it won't travel or
tell you the humidity inside of the instrument.
Guessing what your instrument is experiencing
is not a good idea.

Chuck

Back