Teller, advice and criticize

adferrendelli

this is my first mp3 post of a song called teller/what i got. it is more of just a rough draft because im getting new equipment soon and im going to re-record it. there are some off beat parts in the beginning. to record it i used my H4 as an interface, and miced my acousitc. i added some sublime lyrics at the end. this is the first song i have recorded so i need advice for recording and mixing the song. thanks.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=11929

In all seriousness, I've heard worse with a lot better gear. In other words, your gear has its limitations, but the song is still coming through.

It's hard to know what advice without knowing what changes you're making to your gear. Some basics--the drums/percussion need to come up and be more full--they sound thin. The acoustic and the electric sound good together, just watch the panning to keep them separate. And the vocals are a bit pitchy--work on that when you record.

All in all, good start. I'm looking forward to the re-record and more posts from you.

I think the first step in improving my equipment is buing a new mic(sm-57possibly), i only have the built in mics on my interface and i hate them. i also want to get some noiseless pickups for my strat, which bothers me because i really like the tone i get now, but they are just too noisy in some positions.
eventually im getting monitors and a new interface but thats not going to happen for a while.
i cant play the drums at all, so the biggest problem i have it that i have to mic my keyboard speakers, because there is no midi adapter to my interface. this causes me to run into all sorts of problems, especially because of my mics.
thanks for the advice.

Back