tell me what is wrong with my sound

synergy

I have been trying extremely hard to get a decent sound with my humble equipment, as I guess most of us are on this board. Can someone with good ears please have a listen to this clip and try to explain to me what sounds "off" about it. I can't put my finger on it but I know it 's there. The clip is called "Blues Sample":

http://www.nowhereradio.com/synergy/singles

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited:
I like that tune. Sounds good.

A little too much high-end on the hi-hat for me. The attack on the rythmn guitar is being washed out by the hi-hat sizzle. Both sound to me as if they are competing for the same spot in the mix.

Roll off some highs on the hat and see what happens. Maybe add a bit of mids also. I can't tell you what frequencies. I do it by ear.

Just my .02.

It sounds like there is an acoustic guitar or 'really clean' guitar overtop that has alot of highend to it, which seems to overpower everything giving it a harsh 'high-hat' type sound. The bass and low end is lacking. The kick on the drums is lacking a nice 'tick' sound and has too much muddy low end for my liking. The kick seems to be alot of your problem....it isn't there enough, in lows and highs. Your high-hat I think is OK for this style of music. Back to your acoustic, try adding some defining warm mids to it and cut the highs just enough to take the harshness away from it. I just listened again, and I think it is mostly your kicker and lack of bottom end and volume in the bass guitar....it may be my computer speakers too though.

Hope this helps. All in all....it sounds great though. Greg.

Back