tele vs. lp

postalblue

how bigger (if bigger) is a les paul than a tele, all measures considered? i'm asking because i want to have an lp sent to me via usps, and they won't send anything bigger than 109" in total measures. i'm using the tele as comparison because someone sent me a tele recently via usps, so i know a tele in a regular guitar shipping box can make it, i'm just not sure about a les paul.

A Les paul is smaller, but heavier, than a Telecaster. It really depends more on the case. You shouldnt have a problem with usps taking any guitar really, I never have.

H2H

this guy from the wilbur custom shop claims that he can't ship semi acoustics to brazil via usps because it exceed the size limit. now i'm thinking of having an lp (6 and 12-string) shipped to me, and ups is killing all foreigners with their increasing rates, so the only way is usps.

well, a Les Paul is alot smaller than a 335 or a 175, so I think you're in pretty good shape. One of the things I've always liked about LPs is their compact size. It makes them easy to sling behind your neck and play behind your head ala jimi. I always hit myself in the head trying that with a Strat.:)

H2H

but if you sent an acoustic, and it fell under usps size limits, i suppose i could ship something like a 335? without a case, of course.

I send about 100 guitars a year by UPS, and you do not have to worry. If it is packaged right, most guitars end up costing about the same, and they can all be put in a box which is an "Oversize 1" box, which means they are charging you for a 30 pound package, which is just a bit more than most guitars end up weighing when packaged (just a couple pounds). I would, however, recommend getting third party insurance, as UPS' insurance does not cover weather related damage, which is a very real issue this time of year.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

no, no, ups is out of the question for me. i know i can get any guitar sent to me via ups because they have no restrictions to size and weight. but it costs $200-300 to have a guitar sent internationally. now USPS costs about $70, but they have size limits that some guitars apparently exceed. i'm just trying to find out which ones i CAN'T really get away with.

postalblue said:
no, no, ups is out of the question for me. i know i can get any guitar sent to me via ups because they have no restrictions to size and weight. but it costs $200-300 to have a guitar sent internationally. now USPS costs about $70, but they have size limits that some guitars apparently exceed. i'm just trying to find out which ones i CAN'T really get away with.

I have shipped guitars to England and Hong Kong, both for around $150. I would not trust the post office with a guitar. UPS is very good at what they do, whatever some people may think. As I said, I ship around 100 guitars a year with UPS. You can trust them, as long as you package the guitar properly. The post office, I would not trust.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

$150? i wonder why i got quoted up to $300 by quite a few sellers by email. a few years ago i got a rick 360 shipped in a flight case for $220 via ups, so i figured it would make sense that now it would cost a bit more. maybe i should just buy from you? are you selling on ebay?

i have used usps many times for guitars, amps and everything else, and i never had any problems. and i have received stuff packed in the worst ways you could imagine. i got a tube amp just inside a cardboard box with no padding or anything in perfect condition. also a guitar only double boxed with no padding. there was a support for the neck, but nothing else. maybe i was lucky?

have you considered a service like "Mailboxes, etc..." or "Security Express Service" ...???

those are mail-boxes most often than not in Miami - which forward EVERYTHING from your Miami shipping address to your home (.br) address within 24 hrs by air freight.

I use SES here in chile and got a nice Gretsch packed up the size of a fridge :) for cheap money ... since I am frequent customer they only charged me weight (as opposed to volume)

Where are you anyway? SP o Rio? - you should be able to get access to this service then

un abrazo!
alfred

Back