Tele ---> Princeton Reverb

Flamin Lip

I spend so much time running my signal through complicated pedal boards and rack gear, that I often lose the love of just playing.

Last night I just plugged my MIM Tele w/ Twang Kings straight into my silverface Princeton Reverb. A little tremelo and lots of verb and Im in heaven. Spent all my time enjoying the tone instead of tweaking knobs. I think I am going to forgo effects for the rest of the month!

I spend so much time running my signal through complicated pedal boards and rack gear, that I often lose the love of just playing.

Last night I just plugged my MIM Tele w/ Twang Kings straight into my silverface Princeton Reverb. A little tremelo and lots of verb and Im in heaven. Spent all my time enjoying the tone instead of tweaking knobs. I think I am going to forgo effects for the rest of the month!

Sweet sounds can be had with a tele and a Princeton Reverb. Here's a clip my son recorded doing a abbreviated version of Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah. This was done with a '73 Tele into my '66 Princeton Reverb. Only effect was the on board reverb from the amp.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=453803&songID=5617113

Good stuff! Mine has been modded like nuts where it gets growly and breaks up way earier than that. Nice recording.

PS. Thats a Leonard Cohen tune not Jeff Buckley or Rufus Wainwright one. Great tune, regardless.

I usually play a Tele or Les Paul through a 64 Deluxe. At various times it's been fun to go through a carefully chosen pedalboard but I always go back to guitar > cable > amp, or maybe guitar > cable > dirt box (slight boost with a little hair) > amp.

Sometimes a little modulation, delay or compression can be nice, but for the most part they're never missed. Occasionally it's fun to use a wah for certain tunes, but I plug that in for those tunes only.

Some people like the choices that a well stocked pedalboard gives them and they get great sounds out of them. Personally, I feel that my tone is more defined and organic when not using pedals. Careful A/B testing always proves to me that a pedal, buffered or true bypass, does change the sound when the pedal is in bypass mode. You get a bunch of pedals stacked up and that change increases.

It all depends on what you're trying to achieve.

I just want to throw in another good word about Princetons (my personal favorite amp for general playing and practice.) While I use a Princeton Chorus more than the Princeton Reverb they are both great "little" amps. I have found that they seem to be more suited for use with guitars with high gain single coil pups, especially Strats and Teles. In my experience, humbuckers tend to get a little on the grainy side through the Princeton series amps. While they aren't the best amp for heavy or distorted efx they are great for crisp clean guitar, and pretty good for mild to medium overdriven guitar.

Back