Tele Mods

raab

I'm thinking of putting a mini humbucker in the bridge of my tele so I can get some heavyness going on. Anybody done this? Did it mess up the clean tones when not using distortion or take any of the twang out? I want to humbuck, but on the other hand don't want to lose my twang...

Also, can you coil tap a minihumbucker?

raab said:
I'm thinking of putting a mini humbucker in the bridge of my tele so I can get some heavyness going on.

No, no, no! Not to a beautiful tele! Don't do it! I beg of you!

raab said:
I'm thinking of putting a mini humbucker in the bridge of my tele so I can get some heavyness going on. Anybody done this? Did it mess up the clean tones when not using distortion or take any of the twang out? I want to humbuck, but on the other hand don't want to lose my twang...

Also, can you coil tap a minihumbucker?

I've done it to a couple of Tele's that I no longer have. Some pickups will sound very good for that application (Seymour Duncan li'l 59, and mini JB come to mind) Make sure you get the 4 conductor models if you're looking to split them to single coil. That said...they will NOT give you ALL the twang you have now, but only you will be able to tell if they give you enough. I have a set of Joe Barden's in my current Tele, and they are great FOR ME. Good luck on the hunt! :)

Get a stacked humbucker that fits in the same space. Your guitar is not trashed that way. Another possibility is to buy another junker body and modify that. They go for around $75.

The road is paved with the tears of guitarists who modified their axes and regretted it later.

Back