teisco phantom copy

yeah a copy of the vox phantom vi
still made in 68
just not made in italy
but japan instead still hard as hell to find
look on ebay for some
do you have one?

Nah, wish I did- I love strange guitars. Telestar made something similar- a hollowbody that was tear-drop shaped.

I played with a band member that had one of these Vox teardrop guitars with about a half dozen effects built into the guitar. I do remember that the neck was not all that great though, and it went through batteries very quickly.:mad:

And the triangle on the bridge is a hand operated Wah pedal!

Attachments

• Vox tear-drop gtr_body-front-crop.jpg
    Vox tear-drop gtr_body-front-crop.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 45
I don't have that one but I do have a guitar that has the same pickups, bridge & trem. I love the pickups!
I'd love a Teisco - they go for insane amounts of money in Australia.
Isn't the traingle on the Vox a plam trem?

I don't have that one but I do have a guitar that has the same pickups, bridge & trem. I love the pickups!
I'd love a Teisco - they go for insane amounts of money in Australia.
Isn't the traingle on the Vox a plam trem?

I believe that Ry Cooder has a vintage Stratocaster that has a Teisco pickup installed-it's one of his favorite guitars, too!
The photo of the Vox is the same guitar my friend had-his was also a 12 string as well, it was a Vox Mark XII. I remember that the triangle was a hand operated wah pedal-I played the Vox several times and it had a treble boost, the wah, an echo that it was called a repeater, a nasty sounding fuzztone, and a knob that would drone a low 'E' note to tune the guitar before the days of electronic tuners.

I bet that a Teisco was the first electric guitar that I saw in person when I was a little kid, it wa a dark green color and I was mesmerized by an actual electric guitar.

Are you sure it's a WAH? To my mind, "wah" is a modulation in the contour of the frequencies being produced- you can "wah" any amp by turning the "tone" knob up or down, whereas most devices located where that triangle are technically tremolo (modulation in the frequency of the pitch of the note or notes.)

Just to confuse the issue, what is often called "tremolo" on amps is actually vibrato- a modulation in the VOLUME of the pitch or note.

Are you sure it's a WAH? To my mind, "wah" is a modulation in the contour of the frequencies being produced- you can "wah" any amp by turning the "tone" knob up or down, whereas most devices located where that triangle are technically tremolo (modulation in the frequency of the pitch of the note or notes.)

Just to confuse the issue, what is often called "tremolo" on amps is actually vibrato- a modulation in the VOLUME of the pitch or note.

Like I said, I played it and it was a wah-it didn't have the range of a cry baby pedal but it was a wah. I think a lot of these odd ball guitars were designed in Italy, the Italians are well known for bizzare styles.

Here is a Vox 335 style guitar with all the same options built in-and a bigsby as well-and there is the little triangular wah......:rolleyes:

Attachments

• imagesCAVRSK7R.jpg
    imagesCAVRSK7R.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
... which was, in turn, a copy of a Vox.

Back in the 80s I had one of those Vox guitars laying around in my garage. I think my brother bought it for 20 bucks. It was a total piece of shit. Had I known that 30 years later some fool would have paid good money for it I wouldn't have left it there when I moved out.

Back