PM--|
  Q  E Q  E E Q  E Q    H.      E E E E E E   Q.   E E E E Q  E Q
|---------------------|---------------------|
|-----------2----4----|-5-------------------|
|-----------0----2----|-3-------2h3p2-------|
|-5--2----2-----------|---------------5-2-0-|

Hi, I'm trying too play the above - polaris by megadeth. I'm just wondering what is the best way to play the A5 going to B5 above, as there is a rest beteen the A5 and the B5. Should I kill the A note with the fretting or strumming hand. If you dont bother to mute the A, its noticeble, to me anyway as it ruins the pause.

I'd mute it with the palm of my picking hand. Early Metallica and Megadeth is all about the palm muted chugging (as is all Thrash).

If that doesn't work clean enough for you, I'd mute it first with my picking palm, then "reinforce" the mute with my fretting hand.

But the palm should do it.

Hope that helps.

Wow! Polaris!
Great tune. I haven't played that in years (since I've let my chops go). The lyrics came to mind pretty recently while listening to the news.:(

I just pulled out my guitar and tried it again. I guess what I do is palm mute and reinforce it by putting my ring finger down on the open A string very briefly. So briefly in fact, that I didn't realize I was doing it. I always did an F#5 (rather than just F#) before the A5. It feels better that way.

Looks like you're very detail oriented. Keep it up! You gotta wonder how Dave Mustaine could be so detail oriented and so messed up on drugs and booze.

Back