Technical MIDI problem

P-J

Rank Amateur
Hi all.

I bought myself a cheap USB MIDI device the other day. It's just USB box with two cables (MIDI IN/OUT).

All seemed to be going well and I was recording some beats using Battery, however I've turned everything on today and MIDI from pads -> PC doesn't seem to be working. I can output from the PC -> pads fine, but not the other way.

Is there something I might be overlooking? I have the correct device and channel set up, but no MIDI program seems to want to record the device.

I'm guessing this USB box is shagged already, but any advice much appreciated :)

//edit : I have tested the MIDI ports on the drum machine by looping the MIDI out to the MIDI in and it loops back with no problems (??)

Last edited:
dementedchord said:
1st guess??? double check your channel assignments...

I've set all the recording software I've using to 'omni-channel' or 'any channel' and still no dice. I've tried specific channels on the drum machine and sequencer but nothing at all is happening there either :[

I've even taken the bold step of reinstalling Windows from scratch.

Nothing :/

There's no driver issues. It uses Windows XP standard USB audio device driver and was working at one point. I didn't actually move anything, just went over to the drum machine, switch it on, and it should output MIDI by default but nothing.

Like I said, to test the MIDI output I looped the OUT to the IN with a cable and that worked well.

My guess is it's knackered, unless anyone has any clues :)

In the meantime I have ordered a gameport -> MIDI cable to test it properly (using SB Live!), if it works the USB device will be going back for a stern refund!

dementedchord said:
if it passed a loop back test it sounds more like a drum machine problem... send /recieve channels???

I meant the drum machine passed the loopback test :)

Anyway, I managed to acquire a gameport -> MIDI IN/OUT cable yesterday, installed a SB Live!, tried it and it worked!

So this USB box is going back for a refund at the weekend. Anyone who shops at Maplin in the UK, I suggest you perhaps think twice about buying their £29.99 USB MIDI box. It's very poorly built, and £29.99 should really get you some reasonable quality electronics.

Battery 3 here I come! Thanks for all the assistance :)

Back