Teac / Tascam mixers outputs

lonewhitefly

Hey guys,

For those of you familiar with the first generation Teac mixers like the Model 5 and the m35 ...

I'M wondering about the routing. I understand from the Manual that it's recommended to use 2 of the four busses to mix through as your main stereo output ... Alternately, I always found it more flexible to send the mix from the "studio feed" or "control room" outputs as the "master" output. I realize these outs were designed as monitor sends, but is there any significant decrease in audio quality or integrity using them? I don't recall a notable difference, but I didn't do any serious testing. Appreciate any comments! Thanks

Those models, the 5 and 35 used the 4 program busses to feed the stereo studio feed, so you're adding a bit a noise to the overall production. That said, if your levels are healthy and if the music is steady in its content, it will probably not make an appreciable difference. If the music is more dynamic in its nature with quiet and loud passages, then bypassing one more gain stage might be of benefit. Plus, that era of mixers from TASCAM was a fair bit noisier then their newer offerings like the 300 series which routed the stereo buss as directly as the 1-4 PGM busses and were quieter over all.

Cheers! :)

Thanks Ghost! That's the exact info I was looking for ... You've always been a great help to the analog scene ... I remember you helping me out 10 years ago on the old Tascam Forums with my dumb questions!

I used the 2 extra busses for a delay send and return ... Basically so I can buss multiple channels to a tape delay (in addition to using the effect send for reverb). Can anybody think of a better way to get a second effect send/return to use of multiple channels while using all 8 channels for mixdown

If you made use of an external mixer like the M1 or M1B, you could take the direct outs from your channel strips to feed it a signal which could then be level adjusted and panned to an external echo unit which could be fed into the aux stereo input on the main mixer. That would give you far more control in terms of just how much echo each track receives rather then just a hard on/off assign of your current method. Those sub mixers can usually be found pretty cheaply on ebay and CL too.

Cheers! :)

Good idea ... I've got a little Berhinger 4 -channel mixer that would work well!

And ... A man's only as old as the woman he feels !

Back