teac and technics units

dragnalus

hi. i was wondering if any of the teac units besides the 80-8 are decent for recording. i've been looking at the 3340 (1/4" 4trk with what appears to be unbalanced 1/4" inputs) and there was another unit (1/4" 2trk, same inputs as above) that i can't remember the name of. they seem to have been made mainly in the late 70s/early 80s, and i can't really tell if they were just made for playing consumer rtr tapes or were directed toward more of a semi-pro recording market.

also in question is the technics rs-1500....it seems to have a weird tape threading system, but again i was wondering from anyone who's used this machine or the others if it has sonic quality comparable to higher end teac, tascam, and otari 2 and 4trk recorders. thanks.

tascam 3440

hey i have both the tascam 3440 4 track it is fantastic for recording if you only need four tracks, 71/2 or 15 ips run it at 15ips and you can pull some good sound, as for the technics 1500 this machine is a very high end 2 track machine 3 speeds 3 3/4 7 1/2 15 ips . the loop up system is very good, i know it looks wierd.....most times i will record on the tascam and mix down to the technics at 15ips, they also have a 4 track playback head and a 2 track playback head. both machines take 7 and 10 in reels. if you want more info on my machines e-mail me and i would be glad to answer them.
bmcmartin@smartchat.net.au

I've got a Technics 1506, and sonically it is fantastic. As well, the transport mechanism is extremely stable, mainly due to the fact that there is a single capstan driving the tape. You get none of the problems that occur when you have a machine using two separate capstans (or capstan motors).
I agree with beyond_therapy in that it is very useful for mixdown (especially at 15 ips). The reported freq response at that speed is something like 20 - 30Khz.
mike

That question is baited, isn't it? I think so,...

'cause in my opinion, the entire Tascam line of recorders are all great to record on.

You want 1/2" 8-tracks? Well, there's the 80-8, 38, 48, 58 and ATR-60/8,... depending on how much money you wanted to spend.

Let's not forget, the one-of-a-kind Tascam 388, a 1/4" reel 8-track, that's a self contained portastudio-like design, called "The Studio 8". This unit, although being 1/4" 8-track, has a great sound with built-in dbx, and has an awesome 8x8x2 integrated mixer. It's heavy to lift, but beautiful to look at, and fun to use, with great hifi sound.

You want 1/4" 4-tracks? Sure, there's the A3440, and the 2340A, A3340, 40-4, 22-4, 34, 34B, 44, and 54. [BTW, I've never seen a Tascam 54, have you?].

The ATR-60/4, to the best of my knowledge, is a 1/2" 4-track, and you know that's gotta sound huge, but you'll hardly ever see one.

In 1/4" 2-tracks, Tascam has the 22-2, 32, 42, 52 & ATR-60/2.

All these Tascam reel recorders I've mentioned are good units to own. [Did I miss any?].

In Tascam Portastudios, the choices are many. Lots of people who like basic reel recorders also like cassette-4-track Portastudios, but I suppose that's another post.

;)

Back