Teac a-3440

hdp160

Hi everyone I'm new here so if this is the wrong forum please be gentle.

I've taken the plunge and bought myself a 1981 vintage TEAC A-3440, this was sort of an impulse purchase. When I was younger I always wanted a proper tape recorder but had to settle for a Grundig TK140 as a teenager. and later I had no money to buy better as an adult.

I haven't received it yet but my intention is to give it a good going over. I'm retired a radio ham and fairly happy around electronics and mechanics of this era.

Eventually I hope to have it "plumbed" into my existing hifi setup and if the truth were to be known, it will probably only be used occasionally, and will be mostly for show.

I found several youtube clips and bits and pieces on the net but not a enthusiasts group, is there one?

Or does anyone have any juicy links to share.

One problem I know already is the scarcity of new tape and SSS. Does anyone have a recommended brand or indeed brands to avoid. That's probably enough to start with I think I will be asking you guys and girls a lot of questions over the next couple of months..

Greetings and welcome!

I don't know of an A-3440 enthusiast group per se...I'd wager this is about the closest thing you'll find right here.

As far as tape and SSS, look at the top of the forum. There is a permanent thread there regarding SSS that would be a good resource as far as tapes to avoid.

Tapes I'd *recommend* for the A-3440...your best and safest bet is new RMGI SM911 (+6, 1.5mil tape), or RMGI LPR35 (+6, 1.0mil tape). I say best bet because it is new. You never really know what you are getting with "used" tape. But if you do decide to take the risk and buy used, Quantegy 456 (+6, 1.5mil), 406 (+3, 1.5mil), 457 (+6, 1.0mil), 407 (+3, 1.0mil) would be good tape...Scotch 206 if you can find it (+3, 1.5mil), or any BASF/EMTEC SM911 (+6, 1.5mil).

Hope that helps!

Thanks sweetbeats great information ....sorry for the slow reply... I've received the recorder and spent a few days cleaning, lubing and belt changing Etc... everything is going in the right direction at the moment I have one small problem but I'll start a new thread to seek advice on that. :-)

Back