TEAC A-3440 Won't Play rewind or fast forward

glenn taylor

Hey Gents I bought a Teac A3440 for $80 today. It's in good condition looks wise. I knew it needed work. The capstan spins when the right arm is up.
It won't engage the pinch roller when you push play. Also it won't rewind or fast forward. It only has 2 belts. Capstan which is fine and the counter which good too. Has 7 fuses inside which are all good. The old owner said it worked the last time he used it. Any thoughts? Glenn.

I had that with the pinch roller on a 32-2. I just opened it up and cleaned all the moving parts thoroughly.
Greased everything up and worked it for a while and then it was fine.
If memory serves I might have replaced a spring that had stretched slightly too.

Not sure about the ff and rw though... Is there resistance if you hit FF then manually turn the reels? Perhaps the brakes are bound on?

Sounds like a good general clean up might be on the cards.

There is no motor action on the ff or rew when pushing the buttons. with the deck on or off the supply reel spins by hand clockwise with ease. A bit of resistance counterclockwise. The take up reel spins with ease by hand counterclockwise. A bit of resistance spinning clockwise. If you asking if the motors are causing resistance. No they are off. The only thing spinning is the capstan motor when I move the right arm. I don't know if the left arm turns anything on or off. If it did have a broken switch that might be the problem. Don't know if it has a switch. GT.

Maybe try dropping a thread in the analog section there Glenn.
There are some really knowledgeable people around there.

Back