Teac A-3440 partial disassembly help please

jviss

Interesting, the service manual for the 3440 is not a repair manual; it doesn't tell how to troubleshoot, repair, or even disassemble most part of the unit. The parts manual is helpful, in that it has exploded vies, but there's no explicit disassembly guide.

What I need to determine is, what is the minimal amount of disassembly necessary in order to replace the control switch button assembly.

The piece I am replacing is the assembly that consists of items designated numbers 7 through 12 in Exploded View-5 of the parts manual. Interestingly, though the buttons are permanently attached to the flat, semi-rigid plastic "hinge," this assembly is not listed as an assembly, and was apparently never available as such.

What goes wrong with STOP buttons on 3440's is that the hinge breaks off. It's a "living hinge" made by reliefs cut into the plastic, credit card-like material. The button then just flops around in the escutcheon. Someone was kind enough to give me an intact replacement.

I tried to get to it by removing the screws holding the control panel in place. This requires not only removal of the front screws, but at least one M3 nut on studs projecting out the back of the panel. Mine had only one.

The panel dangles by the wires connected to the pause and record indicating LEDs. I didn't see connectors, and they appeared ot be glues into the panel.

Once inside, only two of the three screws securing the hinge plate are accessible; the third is covered by the lower amplifier panel (Ref. 4-5). This appears to be a lot of work to remove.

So, before I am up to my elbows in Teac parts, can someone please help me on knowing what the most expeditious course to replacing this switch button assembly might be?

Thanks much,

jv

Last edited:
Back