Teac 8516 / 1" tension woes

Huh, I was able to get another roller arm from TEAC - p/n 6014103000. Cost about 82 bucks! I put it in and now the pinch roller hits the capstan exactly parallel, as well as my eye can see. It surprises me that a die-cast part could become deformed like that, but it evidently was.

die-cast...formed steel...machined...doesn't matter. It all has limits.

So the question is, how does it pull tape??

It's looking a lot better - there no longer seems to be a big tension skew around that supply roller. Know a good source for a spring scale? The service manual says the pinch roller pressure needs to be 5.5-6.6 lbs

Did you end up getting this fully sorted? If it's of any help, I could scan the MS-16 tape path adjustment service manual page.
BTW love the Slugbug stuff!

Seem to have licked it, yeah. I still haven't got the spring scale to verify the pinch roller pressure is right.
Since the last post I bought an MS-16 from the first owner - I moved the 85-16 to my friend's studio to cut live tracks there, since it's frustrating to try and overdub yourself on (no track remote and no automatic sync/input switching). MS-16 came with all of the manuals.

I'm planning to modify it so I can select 7.5/15/30 ips - just for special tape speed effects, I'm aware that the EQ won't be correct on anything but 15. I'll be sure and take some pics and post them here when I get around to doing that

That's great to hear.
Interesting idea about the mod. I always wondered how feasible it would be to have a dedicated sync head output patch point in conjunction with a few externally powered cards. That way you could do ADT and flanging more easily (no need to bounce off repro with the tape backwards).

Back