TEAC 80-8 Setup Help

Dudethestallion

Hi there. Fist time posting here but you seem very helpful so I figured I would give it a go. O have a TEAC 80-8 8track reel to reel recorder. I have (had) a pretty good idea to hook it up to a mixer for recording. Get a 16 track mixer with direct outs for the first 8 tracks and get 16 rca to 1/2 inch adapters. So I would have the 8 direct outs going individually to each direct in on the reel to reel recorder. Then have the 8 rca outputs running into the mixer on channels 9-16. The only problem is I can only find one 16 channel mixer with 8 outputs to record into the reel to reel and I lost the bid on it. My question is, would this even work and is this my only option? Im honestly a one or two tracks at a time recording type of guy. Maybe 2 for drums. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you're only recording 1 or 2 tracks at a time, most of the time, any decent 4 buss mixer, even without direct outs on the channel strips, should do the trick. And there's almost an endless list of decent 4 buss mixers out there. Many of the matching Tascam ones also offer doubled RCA buss out jacks to work with 8 track machines like your 80-8, so you can save a few bucks on all those adaptors.

I used to run a 16 track deck, the MS-16 from Tascam and I used a 4 buss mixer, the TASCAM M312B. Worked like a charm.

Cheers! :)

So 8 tracks out of the tape machine into each 8 tracks of the mixer, then the aux out into one track at a time? I would just move it on the tape machine as recorded? Also this wouldn't record what was coming from the tape machine, go through the mixer, then back onto tape when I record? And if I did this where would I plug my instrument or mic into with 8 tracks coming in. Thanks a lot for your help.

It sounds like you need to educate yourself on mixer basics.

As a suggestion, try downloading a manual of two of some of the models you're considering and really sit down and read them through to understand their capabilities, where and how the signals flow inside of them and especially so, study the signal flow diagrams. Those will give you a much better idea of what a recording mixer is capable of.

Cheers! :)

On the old Teac / Tascam mixers like the Model 5 and the M35, each channel has 8 direct outs and 8 line inputs. Switch to 'mic' while recording and 'line' when mixing. You don't need a 16 ch. mixer for an 8-track, it just gives you more flexibility.

Hi there. Fist time posting here but you seem very helpful so I figured I would give it a go. O have a TEAC 80-8 8track reel to reel recorder. I have (had) a pretty good idea to hook it up to a mixer for recording. Get a 16 track mixer with direct outs for the first 8 tracks and get 16 rca to 1/2 inch adapters. So I would have the 8 direct outs going individually to each direct in on the reel to reel recorder. Then have the 8 rca outputs running into the mixer on channels 9-16. The only problem is I can only find one 16 channel mixer with 8 outputs to record into the reel to reel and I lost the bid on it. My question is, would this even work and is this my only option? Im honestly a one or two tracks at a time recording type of guy. Maybe 2 for drums. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Boy 80-8 takes me back to the 80,s. If you use a 80-8 I would look for a newer mixer that is quiet. The old teac tascam mixers from the 80,s were noisy. Mackie has mixers with a b mix 4 or 8 outs and a out for every channel if needed.

Back