Teac 6300 Capstan Solenoid flaky

technoplayer

Recovering Gear-aholic
For some time the solenoid that pulls in the pinch roller on my 6300 has been lazy, i.e. when i press 'play there is a slight delay and an audible double 'click' before the pinch roller pulls over. Thinking about it I presume there is a relay that energizes the solenoid and thats the first click then the solenoid pulls in and that the second click. Ok, so maybe a sticky solenoid. Once it does pull in its rock solid.

Except..........

Sometime the pinch roller doesnt fully pull in, so the tape get pulled along by the take up reel only. If I try to push the pinch roller over there is no resistance either way...feels like the solenoid isnt energized.

Is there some diode or capacitor or other component in series with the solenoid coil which hold it in which could be leaking off the necessary voltage to engage and keep it engaged?

I'd suspect gooey rubber on the solenoid piston before any fears of an electrical/electronic component failure. Look into cleaning that up and you'll probably see it return to normal operation. Braking issues are also usually this same issue with their solenoids from Teac decks of that era.

Cheers! :)

Back