Teac 3440 STOP button loose

jviss

(I searched, sorry if this is redundant)

The STOP button on my 3440 is loose, like, rattling around in the housing loose. It works. It's just as if it's not supported by springs, or whatever holds it in place.

Has anyone ever fixed this issue? I've seen it on other units, so I imagine it's not uncommon.

Thanks,

jv

There are no visible or listed springs in the transport switch assembly but there is a rubber spacer pad sheet that goes around all of the transport buttons and looking at the exploded view in the service manual, this appears to be the most vulnerable part that could degrade with age and use as the rubber can crack, dry up, rot and fall apart from nothing more then years of finger oils and dirt getting into that pad and rotting it out.

TEAC lists the part number as #55343751 but I doubt they still have inventory on it at this point.

That said, it is just a simple rubber sheet so, if you're feeling industrious, you could always buy a generic piece of rubber, use the old one as a template and build your own replacement part.

Or, just live with it as is, considering it isn't really doing anything detrimental to the operation of the machine.

Cheers! :)

Thanks again!

Hey, are you following me around here? :)

I appreciate your input. Funny, I can't imagine that it is a deteriorated rubber pad, since the defect is so dramatic; I mean, the switch is just rattling around in there.

I'm looking at that '3751 part on the parts list now (I have all the docs); that's a spacer between the metal panel and the buttons. Seems to me the problem is further down, like between the button (ref. des. 10) and the "hinge, button B" part (ref. des. 12). But, what do I know! I haven't had one of these apart before.

I just wonder how far I have to dig into this thing to get to where I can examine what's wrong and do something about it.

But then, perhaps you are right. I'm actually hoping you are, as I can certainly fabricate a replacement for it pretty easily.

Anyone out there ever fix this?

Thanks.

Back