TDIF interface w/D-sub to 8ch 1/4's and D/A Converter?

rabidbandit

He's my delima. I have a DDX3216 (yeah I know...mix opinions on the board...no problems with mine at all) with the TDIF expansion mod. I can't find the damn ADT1616 card for lightpipe so I'm going a different route to add more channels. I have a hosa D-sub to 8ch 1/4's and want to convert it to analog. Does someone make an 8 to 16ch ADA converter that's rackmountable with 1/4 in's and out's I don't want to spill $1500 for the TDIF converter from RME...to much, the Tascam IF-Tad looks cheesy and I would have to still buy an ADAT interface with the multi-out anyway. I'm stuck...why the hell isn't there more options for TDIF??? Tascam HD recorders are pricey as well. I just use the old laptop record stereo. Any help would be much appreciated.

Yeah...I'm a noob:( Come on...somebody has to be a vet. in these matters. I just want something to go from the 8ch 1/4 males from the TDIF card to 8Ch analog I/O converter...(something that's sub $500 if possible) so I can connect it to other equipment or piggyback off another board for recording purposes.

Last edited:
all these members....no good answers???:( I have some decent equipment...just trying to get it all to talk to eachother. Mainly the DA/AD stuff I'm clueless about.

Sekd had a pci tdif card. The prodif. I have one that I don't use any more, but I don't know if they bothered to write drivers for windows xp. I was using win 2000 at the time so it didn't matter.

I'm looking for something rack mounted...sorry...no PC , just laptop. What format is TDIF...freq wise? Sorry if I'm sounding retarded. Looking maybe for something that takes the digital D-sub to 8ch 1/4's I/O's cable into a converter that has 1/4in. I/O's that are analog to go to a mixer. Does someone make such a thing?

rabidbandit said:
all these members....no good answers???:( I have some decent equipment...just trying to get it all to talk to eachother. Mainly the DA/AD stuff I'm clueless about.
Why not contact Tascam? YOu *do* know that tdif is a Tascam protocol, right?

Edit: oops, apararently not.

TDIF is just Tascam's digital interface protocol. Light DATA lightpipe.

TDIF is just Tascam's digital interface protocol. Light DATA lightpipe.

TDIF is not optical. Its a D connector. look on ebay for a TDIF card. I run a delta tdif and it works fine

TDIF is digital and is not compatable with anything other than another TDIF interface. There is no breakout cable that will help.

altitude909 said:
TDIF is not optical. Its a D connector. look on ebay for a TDIF card. I run a delta tdif and it works fine
Umm, wierd typo , I meant to say that it's a digital protocol like ADAT lightpipe.

That's what I get for trying to multitask.......

So your tellin' me that the digital I/O signal representing each channel coming off each of the 8 individual 1/4 TRS plugs on that cable can't be converted to analog via a DA/AD converter with (8) 1/4 TRS in's and out's???? I'm trying to figure out why that signal is any different from say SPDIF or AES/BEU...is it the way the data is presented or difference in bitrate? Tascam's website sucks...they act like they're protocol is a international secret...so if your wondering why I'm asking all these questions...now ya know...simply not enough info regarding this protocol :mad: I know I can just drop the dough and get an RME AD/DA for about $1500...but since I have the D-sub to (8) 1/4 TRS outs cable...I figured I'd see what works with a budget. Thanks for ya'll patience...I'm learnin':)

is it the way the data is presented

Yes, they are all propriatery. A d Sub to 1/4" is an analog connector. Tdif uses the same connector but is digital. I would look for a TDIF/ADAT (IF-tad) and just use ADAT or a TDIF card used should be about 150$

A TDIF cable is d-sub to d-sub. It doesn't break out into 1/4. You have the wrong cable. It doesn't work like that, the pinout is not the same for those cables.

If you have a Tascam DA-88 (38, 78, 98), you use that snake to hook the analog balanced outputs (or inputs) to your mixer. ADATs do the same thing, only they use an elco connector for thier balanced i/o.

Your right...only assigned to channels 13 and 14:( Well..I'm going to get a AES/BEU card and snag a coverter to ADAT and use the ADA8000 8ch interface. I'll forget about the TDIF. Atleast until I can get an RME ADI 8 after I'm familiar with the whole process. Thanks for all the help :D

AES is stereo also btw so to get 8 in/8 out ADAT Channels you need to have 4 in/4 out AES connections

Last edited:
Back