TC G Major: Cables?

ermghoti

So, I finally pulled the trigger, I've got the bugger in hand, and I'll be able to plug it in tomorrow. TC, in a bizarre move, has opted to use balanced connectors on a dedicated guitar processor. Would it be worth it to wire up a couple cables wired with a TRS at one and and a TR at the other, with the RS traces summed at the other end, or will this not really help anything?

Cheap enough to try it, anyway. :D

I have had troubles with rack gear and volume, so I'm a little gun shy. I'm sure you're right.

So, I finally pulled the trigger, I've got the bugger in hand, and I'll be able to plug it in tomorrow. TC, in a bizarre move, has opted to use balanced connectors on a dedicated guitar processor. Would it be worth it to wire up a couple cables wired with a TRS at one and and a TR at the other, with the RS traces summed at the other end, or will this not really help anything?

If the output is truly balanced, then you'll get no sound at all; the + and - sides of the circuit will cancel when you tie the connectors together.

If they have separately buffered the same signal onto the ring and tip, then you can just use a regular guitar cord, which will short the ring to the sleeve. A cable as you describe will gang together both outputs, but I doubt you'll hear a difference.

If they just connect the ring and tip to the same output (I don't know why they would do that), then you'll have to rig a cable, since shorting ring to sleeve will ground the tip signal as well.

It's OK with regular cables. Their "average peaks at -3dB" suggestion is bunk (of course), so I have the input at 1/2, and the output cranked. I don't bypass it, so it's close enough to run a healthy signal back to the amp, even if it's off a bit.

Thanks, fellers.

Back