Taxi

Bdrum

I've been seeing an add for TAXI.
I guess it's an independent A&R company.
Has anybody had any experience with them?

If you think you are good enough to get a major record deal, then go for it. I think you get a free sign up with cdbaby and some other stuff to.

Bdrum said:
I've been seeing an add for TAXI.
I guess it's an independent A&R company.
Has anybody had any experience with them?

Michael Lasko is the CEO. Known him/of him for years, back when he ran a short page and auditioned "Reader's Tapes" in "HOME AND STUDIO MAGAZINE" (no longer available. Defunked I think) Ihavn't seen the publication for quite some time now. I was a subscriber for several years. Learned a whole lot from the mag.

TAXI gets $300.00 for a 1 year subscription to the "tip sheet". It also costs about $5.00 per song to have it listened to by mostly layed off or otherwise retired record company reps. and A&R. Lots of waiting, don't call them, they'll call you. Don't know why we havn't seen the TAXI adds at the top of this page here.

Checker'm out here;

http://www.taxi.com

/Adult Album Alternative • Adult Contemporary • Alternative • Alternative Country • Americana • Contemporary Christian • Country • Dance • Electronica • Film / TV Music • Hard to Classify • Hip-Hop • Instrumental • Jazz • Latin • Modern Rock • New Age • Pop • Punk • R&B • Rap • Rock • Singer / Songwriter • Vocalist • World

I've seen their ads for years. They had one add that ran a full page and it was 2 guys who got their song recorded by Kenny Rodgers. That add ran for a looong time.

Thanks

I was was thinking of paying them $10,000 to produce my single :)
Only if I sold 100 million. ;)

Bdrum said:
I was was thinking of paying them $10,000 to produce my single :)
Only if I sold 100 million. ;)

cheapskate :-) you could easily give them a million if you sold than many... :-)

Yeah!

Isn't that 's what the artists get's 1/10 of the proceed's :D
What does a one time hit usually make? Enough to retire? :)
I wish!, but I still have to pay my hire musicians because I 'm just a producer/Drummer,not a songwriter :p

My current project tried it. Spent $300 to join, then something like $15 each time we submitted a song. At the time, we were on a really small local label that had paid for our studio time, the first 2500 CDs and put us on the road for a week's worth of gigs, before they went totally bankrupt. Anyway, we were getting some airplay with two of the singles on the record and ended up selling out of the first 2500, just from online sales, selling at shows, and at local independent record stores.

Anyway, we figured we had a pretty good product so we were looking for ways to take the "next step." The reviews we got from TAXI almost seemed canned. Some were constructive, but most just seemed geared towards giving us just enough encouragement to try again... and again... and again...

I must say though, when I called them and explained that I didn't think their services where something we really wanted, they were quick to refund us our $300. In the end, it only cost us $45 to submit those three songs.

My feeling on it is that there must be a better way to get your stuff heard. Of course, if there was a silver bullet, everybody would just do that. There's still no substitute for playing live if you want to move merch. BTW, one of those singles was picked up by a publishing company that gave us an advance and is currently talking to FOX.... I'll just die if it ends up on the Dawson's Creek Reunnion or some crap like that...

Nate74 said:
My current project tried it. Spent $300 to join, then something like $15 each time we submitted a song. At the time, we were on a really small local label that had paid for our studio time, the first 2500 CDs and put us on the road for a week's worth of gigs, before they went totally bankrupt. Anyway, we were getting some airplay with two of the singles on the record and ended up selling out of the first 2500, just from online sales, selling at shows, and at local independent record stores.

Anyway, we figured we had a pretty good product so we were looking for ways to take the "next step." The reviews we got from TAXI almost seemed canned. Some were constructive, but most just seemed geared towards giving us just enough encouragement to try again... and again... and again...

I must say though, when I called them and explained that I didn't think their services where something we really wanted, they were quick to refund us our $300. In the end, it only cost us $45 to submit those three songs.

My feeling on it is that there must be a better way to get your stuff heard. Of course, if there was a silver bullet, everybody would just do that. There's still no substitute for playing live if you want to move merch. BTW, one of those singles was picked up by a publishing company that gave us an advance and is currently talking to FOX.... I'll just die if it ends up on the Dawson's Creek Reunnion or some crap like that...
Well, congrats on your success. It is a good thing to know that they will refund your $300. So, now don't you think we all want to hear your stuff? At least a sample of it anyway....

I joined way back and when I found out that everyone in the band had to be a member to submit I asked for a refund and got it.
There has been many a slugfest on here in the past just do a search. They themselves have never replied to anyones questions or acusations on this forum

junplugged said:
Well, congrats on your success. It is a good thing to know that they will refund your $300. So, now don't you think we all want to hear your stuff? At least a sample of it anyway....

Well, not exactly "my" stuff. The singer/guitarist writes everything. I'm just the lowly bassist/web designer/guy with a PA. We have some samples on our website www.goodfortuneband.com. The song that was picked up by the publisher is called Stop The Rain. There's a sample on the site under the Downloads section.

Reactions: NL5
"Some were constructive, but most just seemed geared towards giving us just enough encouragement to try again... and again... and again..."

That's TAXI! Ina nutshell!!

Still trying

Well, here I am, 4 years and a catalog of about 300 instrumental compositions later. I do hope I didn't sound too negative about TAXI. I just signed up for another year and I'll most likely go to this year's Road Rally.

There's a thin line between not giving up and, doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results.

However, my opinion never stopped TAXI from gaining members and getting the respect and support from significant music industry people.

Working through Taxi, we (a co-writer & I) had material forwarded to a publisher.

That publisher in turn was able to place some of our songs in a few movies and a prime time television show.

Taxi can work for some people.

Back